A group playing Wizard Staff
|Other name(s)||Wisest Wizard, Wizard Sticks, Wizard|
|Alcohol(s) used||Beer (cans), Hard liquor|
Wizard Staff (also known as Wisest Wizard or Wizard Sticks or Wizard) is a drinking game in which players play individually in an attempt to consume more beer than their opponents. As a player drinks, their current can of beer is taped to the top of their previous cans before being opened. It is then opened and consumed from the top of the staff, making the task more difficult as more beers are consumed, not only because of increased inebriation, but also because it simply becomes more physically challenging as the staff becomes taller. Once a staff is taller than its owner, that person has reached wizard status. At the end of the night, whoever is left with the longest staff (in other words, consumed the most beer) is declared the "Wisest Wizard".
After consuming a can, the player levels up and another can is duct taped on top of the first one. Each can consumed counts as one level, so upon finishing the first beer, the player becomes a Level 1 Wizard (although, until the staff reaches their height, they are really classified as a wizard in training). At the beginning of the game, players decide on an interval to fight bosses (usually every 5 levels). These bosses are shots of hard liquor that are named after the liquor. For example, Boss Daniel's would be a shot of Jack Daniel's whiskey. Taking these shots is required to advance to the next level. The idea is to have multiple brands of hard liquor so that you can fight a different boss at each interval.
- White Wizard Variation: Once a player reaches level 10, they become a white wizard. When another player becomes a white wizard, they fight each other with their staffs. The wizard who breaks his opponent's staff becomes the new white wizard.
- "Feeling wise" Variation: Players may not state that they are drunk, but must instead call it "feeling wise". If a player does say "drunk, intoxicated, etc.", that player must chug a beer and is not allowed to add it to the staff.
- Battle Wizard Variation: After completion of the 10 levels, all Wizards remaining standing will have a 'staff fight' with their wizard staffs. The Wisest Wizard (first to 10) will typically win, as their staff is the largest and strongest.
- "BATB1". Anti Hero + Girl Skateboards. May 25, 2008. Retrieved September 13, 2015.
- "Wisest Wizard Staff Drinking Game". College Tips. Retrieved February 2, 2011.
- "Drinking Game of the Week: Wizard's Staff". Slosh Spot. August 26, 2008. Archived from the original on December 31, 2012. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Francisco, Andre (April 23, 2008). "Drinking game of the week: Wisest Wizard". North by Northwestern. Retrieved September 12, 2014.
- "Wizard Staff Drinking Game - How to play Wizard Staff". YouTube. June 30, 2008.
- "Wizard's Staff". YouTube. August 23, 2008.