The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
|The Wizarding World of Harry Potter|
|Islands of Adventure|
|Opening date||June 18, 2010|
|Universal Studios Florida|
|Opening date||July 8, 2014|
|Universal Studios Japan|
|Opening date||July 15, 2014|
|Universal Studios Hollywood|
|Opening date||April 7, 2016|
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is a chain of themed areas at Universal Parks & Resorts based on the Harry Potter media franchise, adapting elements from the Warner Brothers' film series and original novels by J. K. Rowling. The areas were designed by Universal Creative from an exclusive license with Warner Bros. Entertainment, a Time Warner company.
A Harry Potter themed attraction at a Universal Studios park or a Disney park was rumored in 2003. However, the rights to the Harry Potter franchise had been acquired by Warner Bros., who denied all rumors. In January 2007, About.com reported a rumor from a "highly credible source" that the Islands of Adventure park's Lost Continent area was going to be re-themed "to the stories and characters of one of the most popular children's franchises". Other sources followed up in the next few days with unofficial confirmation that the new area would involve Harry Potter. On May 31, 2007, Universal, in partnership with Warner Bros., officially announced The Wizarding World of Harry Potter would be added to Islands of Adventure.
Universal Orlando Resort
At the Universal Orlando Resort in Orlando, Florida, Islands Of Adventure and Universal Studios have Wizarding World of Harry Potter themed environments. Both parks include Hogwarts Express stations allowing passengers to take the train reach both theme parks aboard the full-scale replica of the train that appears in the film series.
At the Islands of Adventure theme park, the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened June 18, 2010. It includes re-creation of Hogsmeade and three rides. The flagship attraction is Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, which exists within a re-creation of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Other rides include Dragon Challenge, a pair of inverted roller coasters, Flight of the Hippogriff, a family roller coaster, and the Hogwarts Express. Other attractions include Ollivander's Wand Shop, Triwizard Spirit Rally, and the Frog Choir. Hogsmeade containing many gift shops and restaurants from the book series including Dervish and Banges, Honeydukes, Ollivanders, the Three Broomsticks, and the Hog's Head.
At the Universal Studios Florida theme park, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened July 8, 2014. It includes re-creation of Diagon Alley and connecting alleys, as well as, a small section of Muggle London. The rides are Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts roller coaster ride and the Hogwarts Express. Other attractions include Ollivander's Wand Shop, The Tales of Beedle the Bard show and Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees performance. The area also containing many shops and restaurants from the book series including The Leaky Cauldron, Ollivanders Wand Shop, Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, Borgin and Burkes, Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions, Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment and Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour.
Universal Studios Japan
At the Universal Studios Japan theme park in Osaka, Japan, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened on July 15, 2014. It includes the village of Hogsmeade, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride, and Flight of the Hippogriff roller coaster. Two features in the Japanese park not found in Orlando or Hollywood are Hogwarts' Black Lake and live owls.
Universal Studios Hollywood
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened at Universal Studios Hollywood on April 7, 2016. The flagship attraction is the fight-simulating ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, similar to the Orlando one. Once, visitors wear Quidditch-inspired 3D goggles throughout the ride for an enhanced ride experience but the 3D has recently been replaced by 2D.
- "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter Only at Universal Orlando Resort". Universal Orlando Resort. 2010. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Bevil, Dewayne (July 17, 2014). "Universal's Diagon Alley: Answers to your burning questions". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Miller, Lisa (July 9, 2014). "The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter Diagon Alley Opening Is Literally Making People Cry". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Niles, Robert (July 8, 2014). "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Diagon Alley opens officially at Universal Studios Florida". Theme Park Insider. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- Bevil, Dewayne (18 April 2014). "Universal Studios Japan: Wizarding World of Harry Potter to open July 15". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- Cripps, Karla (16 July 2014). "Universal Studios Japan's 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter' opens". CNN. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- "Exclusive: Hollywood's 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter' sets its opening date". USA Today. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- Hill, Jim (14 August 2003). "Why For wouldn't J.K. Rowling let Universal Studios build a Harry Potter stunt show?". JimHillMedia.com. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- Creative, T.Holland (12 July 2003). "Harry Potter's Going to Disney World?". Theme Park Insider. Retrieved 12 September 2014.
- Clarke, Susan Strother (August 8, 2003). "Aol Lawyers Cast Spell On Rumors". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved December 7, 2011.
- Levine, Arthur (January 28, 2007). "Universal to Float New Island at its Florida Park". About.com. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- Hart, Lance (February 1, 2007). "Harry Potter / Lost Continent Transformation". Screamscape. Archived from the original on February 3, 2007. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- Hill, Jim (February 5, 2007). "Monday Mouse Watch: You'll believe a car can fly". JimHillMedia.com. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "Harry Potter theme park planned". BBC News. May 31, 2007.
- Sturcke, James (May 31, 2007). "Harry Potter theme park to open in Florida". The Guardian. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "Harry Potter theme park swoops to Fla.". USA Today. May 31, 2007. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- Albright, Mark (June 1, 2007). "A whole new magic kingdom". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved May 19, 2010.
- "Universal Launches 'Harry Potter' Theme Park". CNBC.
- "Universal Studios Hollywood to open Harry Potter attraction next spring". LA Biz.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.|