Wizards in Winter
|"Wizards in Winter"|
|Single by Trans-Siberian Orchestra|
|from the album The Lost Christmas Eve|
|Genre||Symphonic metal, Progressive rock, Christmas music|
|Writer(s)||Paul O'Neill, Robert Kinkel|
|Producer(s)||Paul O'Neill, Robert Kinkel|
"Wizards in Winter" is an instrumental track by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, released on the 2004 album The Lost Christmas Eve. A clip of the band playing the first few seconds of the piece was used in a commercial for its most recent concert tour, and the song is often used to open their live shows. Its musical style incorporates progressive rock, symphonic metal, and heavy metal, with influences from classical music.
During the 2005 Christmas season, electrical engineer Carson Williams set up a Christmas light show in the front yard, driveway, windows, and roof of his house. It took him about two months and 16,000 lights. The lights were synchronized to the music, and the show was free for anyone passing by who tuned to a specific low-power FM frequency on their car radio. It is also available to download on iTunes as a music video.
A three-minute video of the show playing circulated widely on the Internet, and also spawned many others who imitated the style of setting their Christmas lights to this and other songs. It was later adapted by Miller Brewing Company into a 30-second TV advertisement for Miller Lite that aired on U.S. stations in late 2005.
A similar animation was used in a commercial for the UK's National Lottery, although, according to a press release, the advertising campaign "was created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO". No mention of Carson Williams' light show was made. The advert can be seen on the tellyads.com website.
|US Adult Contemporary (Billboard)||18|
|US Digital Songs (Billboard)||72|
|US Rock Digital Songs (Billboard)||38|
- The Inspiration Room| Daily
- "Christmas Lights Switch On Festive Lotto Campaign" (PDF).
- "Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Chart history" Billboard Adult Contemporary for Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Trans-Siberian Orchestra – Chart history" Billboard Digital Songs for Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- "Trans-Siberian Orchestra Album & Song Chart History". Billboard Rock Digital Songs for Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Retrieved March 25, 2014.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Christmas lights synchronized to Wizards in Winter in Mason, Ohio
- Lotto advertisement very similar to the Christmas light show above
|This 2000s song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|