Wizards of Waverly Place (soundtrack)
|Wizards of Waverly Place|
|Soundtrack album by Various artists|
|Released||August 4, 2009|
|Genre||Soundtrack, children's music, pop pop rock|
|Singles from Wizards of Waverly Place|
Wizards of Waverly Place is the soundtrack album from the Disney Channel Original Series of the same name. The album was released as a physical CD, enhanced CD and digital on August 4, 2009, under Walt Disney Records. The album includes songs from and inspired by the television series and Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie.
In an interview with Disney Channel's commercial-segment, Disney 365, Selena Gomez discussed her interpretations of the songs on the soundtrack saying: "Disappear is more of a romantic song. It's basically talking about how a girl likes a guy and they [she] don't want him to disappear, and then Magical is about casting a spell on a guy and this song, Magic, ties into Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie". Although recorded for the episode, "Make It Happen" doesn't appear on the album, for an unknown reason.
In response to the soundtrack, Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic recognized Wizards for its "teen revamps of boomer classics that parents can enjoy too". He also stated that the album is "agreeable" and that Selena Gomez "inevitably stands out from the pack". However, Erlewine said: "the dang-awful version of America's "You Can Do Magic" by Drew Seeley is sunk by its hyper-claustrophobic rhythms, the biggest rearrangement of a tune here and easily the worst cut."
"Magic" by Selena Gomez is a digital single on the iTunes Store. The song was released on July 21, 2009 as part of the Radio Disney iTunes Pass. "Magic" premiered on Radio Disney and a music video to Disney Channel on July 24. The song's music video has Gomez singing into a microphone with bright and flamboyant background, as well as including clips from Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie. "Magic" debuted at no. 61 in the Billboard Hot 100 with 42,000 downloads.
|3.||"Magic*" (Originally by Pilot)||David Paton, William Lyall||Selena Gomez||2:49|
|4.||"Strange Magic" (Originally by Electric Light Orchestra)||Steve Rushton||3:20|
|5.||"Magic**" (Originally by The Cars)||Ric Ocasek||Honor Society||3:51|
|6.||"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" (Originally by The Police)||Sting||Mitchel Musso||3:44|
|7.||"Magic Carpet Ride" (Originally by Steppenwolf)||KSM||2:57|
|8.||"Magic***" (Originally by Olivia Newton-John)||John Farrar||Meaghan Jette Martin||4:08|
|9.||"You Can Do Magic" (Originally by America)||Russ Ballard||Drew Seeley||3:33|
|10.||"Some Call It Magic"||Matthew Gerrard, Robbie Nevil, Raven-Symone||Raven-Symoné||3:13|
|11.||"Do You Believe in Magic" (Originally by The Lovin' Spoonful)||John Sebastian||Aly & AJ||2:13|
|12.||"Everything Is Not What It Seems" (Theme Song)||Selena Gomez||0:51|
|Bonus track (Mexican Edition)|
|13.||"Nada Es Aquí Lo Que Es" (Everything Is Not What It Seems) (Spanish Version)||Romina Marroquín Payró||0:50|
|Bonus track (Greek Edition)|
|13.||"Min Pisteveis Panta Oti Deis" (Everything Is Not What It Seems) (Greek Version)||0:50|
Bonus content for the physical CD for Wizards of Waverly Place includes exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with Gomez and also the new music video for "Magic".
Charts and sales
The album debuted at #24 on the Billboard 200, selling 18,000 units in its first week. It has sold 105,000 copies in the U.S. to date.
|U.S. Billboard 200||24|
|U.S. Top Soundtracks||4|
|U.S. Kid Albums||3|
|Mexican Albums Top 100||32|
|Norway Albums Top 40||27|
|UK Soundtracks Albums||1|
The soundtrack was released in the UK on October 5, 2009, although not stocked up in most of the UK, and in Mexico released on August 14, 2009.
- "Amazon.com: Wizards of Waverly Place". Amazon.com. Retrieved August 3, 2009.
- "Target - Wizards of Waverly Place Soundtrack". Target.com Merchandise. Retrieved August 3, 2009.[dead link]
- Thomas Erlewine, Stephen (August 3, 2009). "Wizards of Waverly Place: Songs from and Inspired by the Hit TV Series > Review". Allmusic. Retrieved August 3, 2009.,
- Kelly Grant, Brenda (July 23, 2009). "SELENA GOMEZ'S "MAGIC" MUSIC VIDEO PREMIERES FRIDAY, JULY 24 ON DISNEY CHANNEL". Disney Channel. Archived from the original on September 2, 2009. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "Disney 365 - Wizards Soundtrack". Disney.com. Retrieved August 3, 2009.
- "Radio Disney iTunes Pass". Apple (iTunes Store). Retrieved August 3, 2009.
- "Disney.com: Selena Gomez - Magic". Disney.com. Retrieved August 3, 2009.
- Ben-Yehuda, Ayala & Trust, Gary (August 13, 2009). "Black Eyed Peas, Jason Mraz Tie Records on Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved August 14, 2009.
- "Mixup Music Store". Mixup.com.mx. 2009-11-25. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "WCharts - World Charts : Bb200 30/10/09 - Em sua segunda semana, Trilha de Lua Nova assume o topo". Wcharts.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "The Billboard 200 - Wizards of Waverly Place". Billboard.com.
- "Soundtracks". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Mexico Albums Top 100
- Norway Albums Top 40