Woburn Memorial High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Woburn Memorial High School|
88 Montvale Avenue
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Woburn Public Schools|
|NCES School ID||251320002193|
|Teaching staff||104.58 (on a FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.59|
|Color(s)||Black and Orange|
|Athletics conference||Middlesex League|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
Woburn Memorial High School (WMHS) is a public high school in Woburn, Massachusetts, United States. It is part of the Woburn Public Schools district and participates in the Middlesex League. It is home to the Tanners and Tannerettes and the nickname "Tanners" has a historical context. In the late 19th century, Woburn was one of the biggest producers of leather in the New England area. The shops that produced leather were called tanneries, hence the nickname Tanners.
All students enrolled in Woburn Memorial High School are subject to MCAS testing when required. As of spring 2014, within the English and Language Arts category, 40% of students were Advanced, compared to a 41% statewide, 51% were proficient, compared to 49% statewide. 7% were classified as needing improvement compared to an 8% statewide, and 2% failed, compared to 2% statewide. Within the Mathematics category, 46% of students were classified as Advanced, compared to 53% statewide, 30% were proficient, compared to 26% statewide, 17% needed improvement, compared to 15% statewide. 6% failed, compared to 6% statewide. Within the Science and Technology/Engineering category, 25% of students were advanced, compared to 29% statewide. 42% were proficient, compared to 42% statewide, 29% of students needed improvement, compared to 24% statewide. 4% failed, comparable to 5% statewide.
- 1852: The first Woburn High School opened above a store on Main Street
- 1906: The original building, known to most as building 7, of the "old Woburn High" was constructed
- 1930s: The wings on building 7 were constructed
- 1954: Football team captured the Massachusetts State Class C Championship.
- 1975: Football Team becomes Massachusetts East Division I Super Bowl champions.
- 1978: Girls Varsity Field Hockey Team wins Division I State Championship
- 1979: Football Team reclaims Massachusetts East Division I Super Bowl crown.
- 1975, 1979, 1981, 1982 & 1987 & 1991 & 1994 & 2002: Woburn High School's Football Team was Middlesex League Champions
- 1991-1992; 2002-2003: Boys' Hockey wins Middlesex League title.
- 1986: Girls Varsity Basketball Team wins Middlesex League Title
- 1999: Boys Golf Team wins State Championship
- 2000-2001: Boys' Soccer and Golf Teams win State Championships; Boys' Wrestling Team win Middlesex League, Middlesex Tournament, Sectional, State and All-State Titles.
- 2002: Boys Golf Team wins State Championship
- 2005: Boys Hockey Team Division 1 North Champions and State Finalists
- 2005: Football Team becomes Super Bowl Champions, Girls Hockey Middlesex League Champions Division 1 State Finalists
- 2005-2006: Boys Indoor Track Team wins State Relays with dominant hurdle performance
- 2006: The new Woburn Memorial High School building opens in September for the 2006-2007 school year
- 2006: Boys varsity Cross Country team wins Middlesex League, Girls Hockey wins Division 1 State Championship
- 2007: Boys Hockey Division 1 North Champions and State Finalists
- 2007: The new football stadium opens up with a moderate win over Winchester on Thanksgiving Day
- 2007: Boys Outdoor Track team become tri-team champions by defeating Reading by a close margin of 2 points.
- 2007: Golf and Outdoor Track Teams become Middlesex League Champions and Girls Hockey and football team becomes co-Middlesex league champions
- 2008: Indoor Track Team become Undefeated Middlesex League Champions, Division II State champions, and All-State Champions
- 2008: Boys' 4 x 400 relay team wins national title.
- 2009: Boys Outdoor Track Team become Duel-Champs of the Middlesex League.
- 2011: Boys Outdoor Track Team become Undefeated Middlesex League Champions.
- 2016: Girls varsity Cross Country team wins Division II State Championship & Middlesex League, Girls Hockey wins Division 1 State Championship.
- 2017: Girls Cross Country team wins Middlesex League. Girls hockey team becomes State Champions. Boys indoor track team wins Middlesex League.
- 2018: Girls hockey team becomes State Champions for second straight year. Girls indoor track team win Middlesex League and Division II State Relay Championship. Boys indoor track team wins Middlesex League.
- 2019: Baseball team wins first Middlesex League title in 41 years and reaches MIAA Division 2 North finals. #byorder 
- Eric Bogosian, actor, playwright, monologuist, novelist, and historian
- Charles McMahon, Marine Corporal, last casualty in Vietnam War
- David Robinson, rock drummer
- John Carter, professional ice hockey player
- Ken Weafer, Major League Baseball pitcher
- "Search for Public Schools - Woburn High (251320002193)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 17, 2019.
- "MCAS DATA". 2014-09-18. Retrieved 2015-02-02.
- "MIAA Championship Football Games". 2007-12-27. Retrieved 2008-04-10.
- "Woburn Athletics Homepage". Retrieved 2015-02-03.
- "Daily Times Chronicle Sports Twitter". Retrieved 2019-06-01.
- "MIAA Tournament Website".