|Born||30 November 1988|
|Alma mater||University of Warsaw (M.S., 2013)|
New York University (Ph.D., 2016)
|Thesis||Learning algorithms from data (2016)|
Wojciech Zaremba is a Polish computer scientist, a founding team member of OpenAI (2016–present), where he leads both the Codex research and language teams. The teams actively work on AI that writes computer code and creating successors to GPT-3 respectively. The mission of OpenAI is to build safe artificial intelligence (AI), and ensure that its benefits are as evenly distributed as possible.
Zaremba was born in Kluczbork, Poland. At a young age, he won local competitions and awards in mathematics, computer science, chemistry and physics. In 2007, Zaremba represented Poland in the International Mathematical Olympiad in Vietnam, and won a silver medal.
Zaremba studied at the University of Warsaw and École Polytechnique mathematics and computer science, and graduated in 2013 with two master's degrees in mathematics. He then began his PhD at New York University (NYU) in deep learning under the supervision of Yann LeCun and Rob Fergus. Zaremba graduated and received his PhD in 2016.
During his bachelor studies, he spent time at NVIDIA during the pre deep learning era (2008). His PhD was divided between Google Brain where he spent a year, and Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research where he spent another year.
During his stay at Google, he co-authored work on adversarial examples for neural networks. This result created the field of adversarial attacks on neural networks.
His PhD is focused on matching capabilities of neural networks with the algorithmic power of programmable computers.
In 2015, Zaremba became one of the co-founders of OpenAI, an artificial intelligence (AI) research company. The aim of the project is to create safe artificial intelligence. In OpenAl, Zaremba works as robotics research manager. Zaremba sits on the advisory board of Growbots, a Silicon Valley startup company aiming to automate sales processes with the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Honors and awards
- Listed among the most influential Polish under 30s, Polish edition of Forbes magazine 2017
- Google Fellowship 2015
- Silver Medal in 48th International Mathematical Olympiad, Vietnam
- ^ Gershgorn, Dave (29 June 2021). "GitHub and OpenAI launch a new AI tool that generates its own code". The Verge. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- ^ Chen, Mark; Tworek, Jerry; Jun, Heewoo; Yuan, Qiming; Pinto, Henrique Ponde de Oliveira; Kaplan, Jared; Edwards, Harri; Burda, Yuri; Joseph, Nicholas; Brockman, Greg; Ray, Alex (14 July 2021). "Evaluating Large Language Models Trained on Code". arXiv:2107.03374 [cs.LG].
- ^ "GitHub Copilot · Your AI pair programmer". GitHub Copilot. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- ^ "What OpenAI and GitHub's 'AI pair programmer' means for the software industry". VentureBeat. 6 July 2021. Retrieved 25 July 2021.
- ^ Metz, Cade (27 April 2016). "Inside OpenAI, Elon Musk's Wild Plan to Set Artificial Intelligence Free". Wired. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- ^ Greg, Brockman (11 December 2015). "Introducing OpenAI". OpenAI. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- ^ "Polish mathematician among the best in the world". Polish newspaper "wyborcza.pl" (in Polish). Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- ^ a b "Results from International Mathematical Olympiad". IMO official website. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- ^ "Personal website of Prof. Fergus". cs.nyu.edu. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- ^ "Wojciech Zaremba's PhD dissertation" (PDF). New York University PhD Theses Archive. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- ^ "Reddit discussion on Wojciech Zaremba's PhD dissertation". Machine Learning channel at Reddit. 9 June 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- ^ "Facebook AI Research". FAIR. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- ^ Szegedy, Christian; Zaremba, Wojciech; Sutskever, Ilya; Bruna, Joan; Erhan, Dumitru; Goodfellow, Ian; Fergus, Rob (2013). "Intriguing properties of neural networks". arXiv:1312.6199 [cs.CV].
- ^ "Presentation from RE.WORK Deep Learning Summit 2015". Retrieved 26 August 2016 – via YouTube.
- ^ "Deep Learning Adversarial Examples – Clarifying Misconceptions".
- ^ "Augmenting neural networks with external memory using reinforcement learning". US Patents.
- ^ Zaremba, Wojciech; Sutskever, Ilya (2014). "Learning to Execute". arXiv:1410.4615 [cs.NE].
- ^ Zaremba, Wojciech; Sutskever, Ilya (2015). "Reinforcement Learning Neural Turing Machines". arXiv:1505.00521 [cs.LG].
- ^ "Learning simple algorithms from examples". Retrieved 26 August 2016 – via YouTube.
- ^ "About OpenAI". OpenAI company website. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- ^ "Growbots' profile page". AngelList. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- ^ "30 the most influential Polish before 30's". Polish edition of magazine "Forbes" 2017.
- ^ "Announcing the 2015 North American Google PhD Fellows". Research at Google. Retrieved 26 August 2016.