|Residence||San Francisco, California|
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Doctoral advisor||Yann LeCun |
Wojciech Zaremba is a co-founder of OpenAI (2016-now), where he leads the robotics team. His team is working on developing general purpose robots via new approaches to transfer learning and teaching robots complex behaviors. The mission of OpenAI is to build safe artificial intelligence (AI), and ensure that its benefits are as evenly distributed as possible.
Zaremba was born in Kluczbork, Poland. At a young age, he won local competitions and awards in mathematics, computer science, chemistry and physics. In 2007, Zaremba represented Poland in the International Mathematical Olympiad in Vietnam, and won a silver medal.
Zaremba studied at the University of Warsaw and École Polytechnique mathematics and computer science, and graduated in 2013 with two master's degrees in mathematics. He then began his PhD at New York University (NYU) in deep learning under the supervision of Yann LeCun and Rob Fergus. Zaremba graduated and received his PhD in 2016.
His Ph.D. is focused on matching capabilities of neural networks with the algorithmic power of programmable computers. The problem of training neural networks to represent an algorithmic power of programmable computers became a separate field.
In 2015, Zaremba became one of the co-founders of OpenAI, a non-profit artificial intelligence (AI) research company. The aim of the project is to create safe artificial intelligence. The main office is located in San Francisco and its budget is a billion dollars. In OpenAl, Zaremba works as robotics research manager. Zaremba sits on the advisory board of Growbots, a Silicon Valley startup company aiming to automate sales processes with the use of machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Zaremba has published over 40 publications with several thousand citations devoted to machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Honors and awards
- 30 the most influential Polish before 30's, Polish edition of magazine "Forbes" 2017
- Google Fellowship 2015
- Silver Medal in 48th International Mathematical Olympiad, Vietnam
- Scholar of Polish Children's Fund from 2000 to 2007
- Aleksander Kwaśniewski President Scholarship for talented children
- "Simulation to reality transfer". OpenAI blog.
- "Ingredients for robotics research". OpenAI blog.
- "Inside OpenAI, Elon Musk's Wild Plan to Set Artificial Intelligence Free". Wired. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- Greg, Brockman (December 11, 2015). "Introducing OpenAI". OpenAI. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- "Polish mathematician among the best in the world". Polish newspaper "wyborcza.pl" (in Polish). Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Results from International Mathematical Olympiad". IMO official website. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "Personal website of Prof. Fergus". cs.nyu.edu. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Wojciech Zaremba's PhD dissertation" (PDF). New York University PhD Theses Archive. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Reddit discussion on Wojciech Zaremba's PhD dissertation". Machine Learning channel at Reddit. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "NVIDIA's supercomputer for deep learning".
- "Facebook AI Research". FAIR. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- Szegedy, Christian; Zaremba, Wojciech; Sutskever, Ilya; Bruna, Joan; Erhan, Dumitru; Goodfellow, Ian; Fergus, Rob (2013). "Intriguing properties of neural networks". arXiv:1312.6199 [cs.CV].
- "Presentation from RE.WORK Deep Learning Summit 2015". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Deep Learning Adversarial Examples – Clarifying Misconceptions".
- "Augmenting neural networks with external memory using reinforcement learning". US Patents.
- Zaremba, Wojciech; Sutskever, Ilya (2014). "Learning to Execute". arXiv:1410.4615 [cs.NE].
- Zaremba, Wojciech; Sutskever, Ilya (2015). "Reinforcement Learning Neural Turing Machines". arXiv:1505.00521 [cs.LG].
- "Learning simple algorithms from examples". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "About OpenAI". OpenAI company website. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Growbots' profile page". AngelList. Retrieved 2016-09-20.
- "30 the most influential Polish before 30's". Polish edition of magazine "Forbes" 2017.
- "Announcing the 2015 North American Google PhD Fellows". Research at Google. Retrieved 2016-08-26.
- "Summary of the ceremony for granting scholarships of Jolanta and Aleksander Kwasniewski". Polish President website.