Wójcik as a toponymic surname is derived from villages Wójcia, Wójciki, as a patronymic surname from popular in medieval Central Europe, as a first name Wojciech (Adalbert), as a cognominal surname from the word wojak ("warrior"), as from the word wójt, chief officer of a municipality (gmina).
Feminine forms are Wójcik, Wójcikówna, Wójcikowa. Over the centuries, from many dialects arose multiple spellings for the Wójcik surname, including Woichik, Wojczyk, Woyzeck, Wojszyk, etc.
Early record of the Wójcik surname may be found in the Chronicles of Little Poland (13th century) We learn the knight Wójcik was a companion of King Wladyslaw of Poland and a member of his bodyguard. From medieval Łęczyca Court Files (14th century). (In 1395 Michno Wójcik of Wójciki pursued legal action against City of Łęczyca for take back an illegally annexed part of his estate during his absence.)
Very rare noble families Wójcik bear different coats of arms:
- Wójcik of Bialynia
- Wójcik and Wojczyk of Pobog
- Wójcik and Wójcikowski of Korab
- Wójcik of German origin: Silver, an eagle black, crowned gold.
- de Wojcza, Wojczik and Wojszyk of Ogończyk
- Wójcik and Wójsik of Ostoja
- Wojszyk of Szeliga
- Wojszek and Wójszyk of Łodzia
- Wójcik of Lubicz
- Wójcik of Rola
- Wojsik and Wojszik of Łabędź
- Wojszek and Wojszik of Piława
- Wójsik and Wojszyk of Janina
- In the 17th century appeared the family Wójcikiewicz (derived from family Wójcik) of the Bialynia coat of arms
- Wójcikowski of the Nałęcz coat of arms.
However, most families bearing the surnames Wójcik, Wójczyk, Wojszik, etc., (c. 90%) are derived from peasantry or burghers, as a result of popular adoptions of this surname between the 17th and 19th centuries. These families derived their surname from the named office of wójt, (municipality (gmina) chiefa or first name Wojciech: son of Wojciech is also Wojcik.
Wójcik surname in voivodships
- Bronisława Wójcik-Keuprulian or Keuprulian-Wójcik, Polish-Armenian musicologist
- Dave Wojcik, American college basketball coach
- Denis Wojcik, American author
- Doug Wojcik (born 1964), American college basketball coach and former player
- Feliks Wójcik of Pobóg, in Russian-Japan war of 1904–1905
- Franciszek Wójcik, Kingdom of Galicia Parliament's member (Austrian monarchy), member of Polish Circle
- Franciszek Wójcik of Pobóg, Polish-Russian war of 1831–1832
- Jan Wójcik, commander of the Polish 2nd Legions' Infantry Division in 1939 Campaign
- Janusz Wójcik (born 1953), Polish politician and former footballer and coach
- Jerzy Wójcik (1916–2004), Polish fencer
- John Wojcik (born 1942), American baseball player
- Jolanta Wójcik (born 1984), Polish athlete
- Katarzyna Wójcik (born 1983), Polish modern pentathlete
- Krzysztof Wójcik (disambiguation), several people
- Łukasz Wójcik of Pobóg coat of arms, Polish 1st Light Cavalry Regiment of the Guards in Napoleon's Campaign
- Łukasz Wójcik, Polish glider pilot
- Magdalena Wójcik (born 1975), Polish singer, member of the band Goya
- Marek Wójcik (born 1980), Polish politician
- Michał Wójcik (born 1971), Polish politician
- Natalia Wójcik (born 1995), American voice actress
- Rafał Wójcik (born 1972), Polish long distance runner
- Ryszard Wójcik (born 1956), Polish football referee
- Erick Wujcik (1951–2008), American role-playing game designer
- Wójcik-Fryszerka, a settlement in central Poland
- Wojciech, Vojtěch
- Woyzeck, Wozzeck
- Zawadzki, Jarosław Maciej (2002). 1000 najpopularniejszych nazwisk w Polsce (1000 of the most popular names in Poland) (in Polish). Świat Książki. ISBN 83-7311-265-0.
- Ministry of Interior (Poland). Statystyka najpopularniejszych nazwisk występujących w Polsce in 2009 (The most popular surnames in Poland in 2009). Retrieved August 18, 2013.
|This page lists people with the surname Wójcik, Wojcik, Wujcik. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|