Wolf Wilhelm Friedrich von Baudissin
Baudissin studied theology and Oriental studies at Berlin, Erlangen, Leipzig and Kiel, earning his doctorate in 1870 at Leipzig, where he worked as privatdocent from 1874 to 1876. In 1876 he was appointed associate professor of theology at the University of Strassburg, where four years later he gained a full professorship.
In 1881 he became a professor of Old Testament exegesis at the University of Marburg, where he remained until 1900. From 1900 to 1921 he was a professor at the University of Berlin. Theologian Franz Delitzsch (1813–1890) and Orientalist Heinrich Leberecht Fleischer (1801–1888) were major influences in his career.
Baudissin was a prominent figure in the Religionsgeschichtliche Schule (School of Religious History). He is largely remembered for his work involving analysis of various ancient Semitic faiths in order to clarify the religious meaning of the Biblical Old Testament.
- Translationis antiquæ arabicæ libri Jobi quæ supersunt nunc primum edita (Leipsic, 1870)
- Eulogius und Alvar, ein Abschnitt spanischer Kirchengeschichte aus der Zeit der Maurenherrschaft (1872)
- Jahve et Moloch, sive de ratione inter deum Israelitarum et Molochum intercedente (1874)
- Studien zur semitischen Religionsgeschichte (two volumes, 1876–1878)
- Die Geschichte des alttestamentlichen Priesterthums untersucht (1889)
- August Dillmann (1895)
- Einleitung in die Bücher des Alten Testaments (1901)
- Esmun-Asklepios (Giessen, 1906).
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- New Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Biography
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz (1975). "Baudissin, Wolf Wilhelm Graf von". In Bautz, Friedrich Wilhelm. Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL) (in German). 1. Hamm: Bautz. col. 415. ISBN 3-88309-013-1. English translation
- Gilman, D. C.; Thurston, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). "Baudissin, Wolf Wilhelm, Graf von". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
- Rines, George Edwin, ed. (1920). "Baudissin, Wolf Wilhelm". Encyclopedia Americana.