Wolfgang Georg Arlt
A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wolfgang Georg Arlt is the founder and director of China Outbound Tourism Research Institute(COTRI) since 2004 with offices in Hamburg/Germany and Beijing.
Born in February 26th, 1957, he grew up in Berlin (West-Germany) and studied Sinology in Berlin, Taiwan and Hong Kong. He visited Mainland China for the first time in 1978 and more than 150 times so far. In the 1990s he was the owner of an inbound tour operator with offices in Berlin and Beijing. It is already ten years he has been a full-time professor for International Tourism Management at Fachhochschule Westküste in Germany. He is frequently quoted in all major international media including CNN, Time Magazine, The Times, The Economist, South China Morning Post. And since November 2013 he has published articles mainly on Chinese Tourism on Forbes. He works for international organisations, companies and governments around the world.
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (London/UK)
- Research Fellow of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science (Tokyo/Japan)
- Research Fellow of the Asia-Pacific Institute for Leisure Research (Hangzhou/China)
- Member of Education &Training Committee and of Industry Committee PATA Pacific Asian Travel Association (Bangkok/Thailand)
- Member of DGT German Society for Tourism Sciences (Worms/Germany)
- Member of DGA German Association for Asian Studies (Hamburg/Germany)
- Member of ITSA International Tourism Sciences Association (Washington D.C. / Beijing)
- Visiting professor at several universities in China, New Zealand and UK
- Member of UNWTO Tourism Expert Panel
- China’s Outbound Tourism (Routledge 2006/2011)
- Chinese tourists’ behaviour in “Elsewhereland” in: Cochrane, J. (ed): Asian Tourism Growth and Change, (2007), (Elsevier), pp. 135-144
- China’s Outbound Tourism: History, Current Development and Outlook in: Lee, R. (ed): China Outbound Tourism 2.0 (2015), (Apple Academic Press), pp. 3-20
- Food and Beverages and their importance for Chinese Outbound Tourists, in: Pforr, Ch., Pechlaner, H. (eds): Food, Wine and China – Tourism Perspective (2017, forthcoming), (Routledge)
Co-editor of several special issues of scientific journals about Chinese outbound tourism, including:
- Arlt/Tse (co-editors): Journal of China Tourism Research, Vol. 7, No. 4 (2011) (Routledge)
- Arlt/Burns (co-editors): Tourism Planning and Development, Vol. 10 No. 2 (2013) (Taylor&Francis)
- Arlt/Johnson/Xu (co-editors): Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events (2017, forthcoming), (Taylor&Francis)
- Publisher and Editor of China Market Report (biannual publication since 2015)
- "Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Georg Arlt". ITB Berlin. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- "Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Georg Arlt appointed member of the 'UNWTO Panel of Tourism Experts.'". World Tourism. Retrieved 8 February 2017.