|Member of Bundestag|
1994 – December 2013
|Constituency||Hessen list (no. 01)|
|Chairman of the FDP|
|Preceded by||Klaus Kinkel|
|Succeeded by||Guido Westerwelle|
31 December 1943 |
|Political party|| German:
Free Democratic Party
Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
Gerhardt was a member of the Member of the Landtag of Hesse from 1978 until 1994. Between 1987 and 1991, he served as State Minister for Science and Culture and Deputy Minister-President in the state government of Minister-President Walter Wallmann of Hesse. In this capacity, he was one of the state’s representatives on the Bundesrat.
From 2002 until 2012, Gerhardt was Vice President of Liberal International (LI), under the leadership of successive presidents Annemie Neyts-Uyttebroeck (2002-2005), John Alderdice (2005-2009), and Hans van Baalen (2009-2011).
Ahead of the 2005 national elections, Gerhard was billed as a possible foreign minister in a new centre-right coalition with the Christian Democrats; instead, newly elected Chancellor Angela Merkel entered a coalition with the Social Democratic Party. Gerhardt was succeeded as chairman of the FDP parliamentary group by Westerwelle in 2006. Between 2006 and 2013, he served on the Committee on Foreign Affairs.
Since 2006, Gerhardt has been serving as chairman of the board of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation.
- Alte Leipziger Lebensversicherung aG, Member of the Advisory Board
- Hallesche-Nationale Krankenversicherung aG, Member of the Advisory Board
- Rücker AG, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Deutsche Vermögensberatung (DVAG), Member of the Advisory Board (1995)
- Theodor Heuss House, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research, Member of the Board of Trustees
- German Association for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses (BVMW), Member of the Political Advisory Board
- Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, Member of the Advisory Board
- German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP), Member of the Council (2005-2013)
Gerhardt is married and has two children.
- "Gerhardt, Dr. Wolfgang" (in German). Bundestag. Retrieved 5 July 2010.
- Bertrand Benoit and Edward Alden (June 28, 2005), Schröder attempts to sway US on claim for UN seat Financial Times.
- Tobias Romberg (May 19, 2011), Ritter der Schwafelrunde Die Zeit.
- Board of Trustees Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wolfgang Gerhardt.|
|This article about a German politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|