Wolfgang Lehmacher at the World Economic Forum's India Economic Summit 2008
|Born||Helmut Wolfgang Lehmacher|
June 4, 1960
Bonn, West Germany
Wolfgang Lehmacher (born 1960 in Bonn, West Germany) is author, global executive, advisor and entrepreneur – expert in the field of supply chain, transport and logistics. During his career, Lehmacher has been involved in various major change initiatives in the supply chain industry. Important steps of his career in private and public companies as well as international organisations have been President and CEO of GeoPost Intercontinental and Member of the Executive Board at GeoPost, the express parcel holding of French La Poste and Director Supply Chain and Transport Industries at the World Economic Forum.
Lehmacher is convinced that supply chain, transport and logistics are prerequisites for growth and wealth, prosperity and peace. Consequently, his aim is to promote the supply chain, transport and logistics industries and support the creation of well balanced models at the nexus of economy, society, and environment.
His numerous publications, such as the books „Wie Logistik unser Leben prägt“ (How Logistics Shapes Our Lives), „Logistik im Zeichen der Urbanisierung“ (Logistics in Light of Urbanisation) und „Globale Supply Chain“ (Global Supply Chain) explain and stress the importance of supply chain, transport and logistics for economy and society as well as the need for the continuous transformation towards more circular and regenerative models. Therefore, sustainable transport, globalisation (Globalization) and collaboration are at the core of his interests. The books have been published at Springer Gabler. Moreover, he has published numerous articles in various publications and blogs, including Financial Times, Nikkei Asian Review, Business Insider, World Economic Forum Agenda and BVL-Blog.
His believes and knowledge are rooted in his professional activities, responsibilities and experience in private and public companies as well as international organisations over more than three decades in numerous national, regional and global roles. Amongst other locations, he lived and worked in Paris, Shanghai and New York. Lehmacher began his career in 1980 at the German Red Cross organising global emergency transports.During his career, Lehmacher has been involved in various major change initiatives in the courier express parcel industry. Such projects include setting up GD Express Worldwide, the consortium of five major post offices – German, French, Dutch, Swedish and Canadian Post – in Germany (1991–1992), the responsibility for the joint venture between Deutsche Post and TNT Express Worldwide (1994–1996), launching the expansion of TNT Express Worldwide in the Eastern European and Eastern Mediterranean regions (1997–1999), and playing a major role in the European expansion of French La Poste (1999–2001), as well as the integration of the pan-European parcel network DPD into the French La Poste business – as Senior Vice President GeoPost (the parcel arm of French La Poste) and Managing Director DPD (2001–2005). In his capacity as President and CEO of GeoPost Intercontinental, Lehmacher led the global expansion of the La Poste parcel business through a collaborative partnership model, building a flexible, full coverage global network in the process (2005-2010). Since 2010 he has continued to be involved in expansion and development projects as Partner and Managing Director at the global strategy boutique CVA, overseeing the China/India business and leading the firm’s transportation and logistics practice. He has also been advisor to investment funds. In 2014 Lehmacher has joined the World Economic Forum to head the Supply Chain and Transport Industries community.
- Author of the book (German): Digital einkaufen: Warum wir unsere Wohnzimmer in Marktplätze verwandelt haben (Digital shopping: Why we have turned our living rooms into marketplaces) – 2017 Springer, Germany
- Author of the book (English): The Global Supply Chain. How Technology and Circular Thinking Transform Our Future – 2017 Springer, Germany
- Author of the book (German): Steht unsere Versorgung auf dem Spiel? Über terroristische Bedrohungen entlang der Supply Chain ( (Is our supply at stake? Terrorist threats along the supply chain) – 2016 Springer Gabler, Germany
- Author of the book (German): Globale Supply Chain. Technischer Fortschritt, Transformation und Circular Economy (Global Supply Chain. Technological Progress, Transformation and Circular Economy) – 2016 Springer Gabler, Germany
- Author of the book (German): Logistik im Zeichen der Urbanisierung. Versorgung von Stadt und Land im digitalen und mobilen Zeitalter" (Logistics in Light of Urbanisation. Supply of Urban and Rural Areas in the Digital Age) – 2015; Springer Gabler, Germany
- Co-author of the book (Mandarin): China Supply Chain Management Blue Book – 2015; China Fortune Press, People’s Republic of China
- Co-author FAZ-Jahrbuch Consulting (German): Digitale Revolution in der Supply Chain (Digital Revolution in the Supply Chain ) - 2014, FAZ-Jahrbuch Consulting (FAZ-Yearbook Consulting), Germany.
- Co-author of the Praxishandbuch Logistik (German): Investitionen in Logistik und Infrastruktur in Deutschland und den BRICS (Investments in logistics and infrastructure in Germany and the BRICS) - 2013, WoltersKluwer
- Author of the book (German): Wie Logistik unser Leben prägt. Der Wertbeitrag logistischer Lösungen für Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft (How Logistics Shapes Our Lives), – 2013 (Springer Gabler, Germany).
- Co-author of the book (English): The Secret Life of Decisions, How Unconscious Bias Subverts Your Judgement - 2013 (Gower Publishing, UK).
- Co-author of the reference book (German): Fraud Management - Der Mensch als Schlüsselfaktor gegen Wirtschaftskriminalität - 2012 (Frankfurt School Verlag, Germany).
In addition, Lehmacher is author of numerous articles and whitepapers, mainly covering innovative transportation and logistics topics.
Lehmacher has participated at numerous speaking events, a number of which have been held by the World Economic Forum. These include The Fallout: A New Global Corporate Landscape, Transforming Urban Transportation, The Asian Consumer: A Sustainability Champion in the Making? and Urbanization: The Unstoppable Global Trend.
Other notable speaking events include the Global Competitiveness Forum in Riyadh,the Boao Forum in China, The Economist World in Dubai, INK in association with TED, TPM Conferences, International Supply Chain Conference Berlin, Ti Transportation Intelligence conferences and the Horasis Global Russia Business Meeting. He also shared his knowledge at institutions such as the MIT Centre of Transportation and Logistics, the Frankfurt School and the Cologne Business School.
Memberships and affiliations
Lehmacher is engaged in various associations and expert bodies to foster the supply chain, transport and logistics industries as well as sustainable practices, for example he is member of BVL International, the Club of Logistics  and the Rat der Logistikweisen, a think tank under the patronate of the Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (Bundesministerium für Verkehr und digitale Infrastruktur) in Germany. He is advocate of the principles underpinning the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and the ‘Partnering Against Corruption Initiative’ (PACI). He is member of the Board of Governors of the Universal Business School in Karjat, Western India, the first green Indian business school and the Advisory Board of Aidha in Singapore, the world’s first micro-business. Lehmacher is also member of the jury of the IATA Air Cargo Innovation Awards and of the jury of the Automotive Logistics Awards Europe.
- Post and Parcel Interview
- India Economic Summit 2009 – Transforming Urban Transportation. Abgerufen am 23. Oktober 2013
- Horasis Global Russia Business Meeting 2010
- Establishing a Global Network through Collaboration
- Forum Agenda (Blog of the World Economic Forum)
- Blog of the Logistics Association Germany, Bundesvereinigung Logistik (BVL)