October 5, 1966
|Other names||Pink Giant|
The Beast of Beelitz
|Criminal penalty||15 years in prison and detention in a psychiatric hospital|
Span of crimes
|October 24, 1989–April 5, 1991|
|August 1, 1991|
Schmidt murdered five women and a three month old baby:
- Edeltraut Nixdorf, 51, killed on October 24, 1989.
- Christa Naujoks, 45, raped and strangled to death on May 24, 1990.
- Inge Fischer, 34, raped and stabbed to death on March 13, 1991 in Beelitz.
- Tamara Petrowskaja, 44, strangled to death on March 22, 1991. Schmidt struck her son against a tree stump.
- Talita Bremer, 66, strangled to death in April 5, 1991 and corpse was raped.
The nickname the "Pink Giant" came from both the killer's size and alleged penchant for pink lingerie. The area where some of the crimes took place led to a second and third moniker, the "Beast of Beelitz" and "Beelitz-Murderer".
On August 1, 1991 Schmidt was arrested: two men had found Schmidt masturbating while wearing a bra under a jacket. Schmidt was sentenced to 15 years in prison and detention in a psychiatric hospital. in Brandenburg an der Havel.
An application for a name change to Beate Schmidt was met by the court in 2001. Since 2009 Schmidt has undergone a hormone treatment for gender reassignment. In 2010, Schmidt was investigated for raping and causing another transgender inmate to attempt suicide.
- Friedrichsen, Gisela (November 1992). "Ein Ausholen zum Gegenschlag" [A knock-out to the counter-strike]. Der Spiegel (in German) (45).
- Becker, Claudia (July 16, 2013). "Der Serienkiller darf sich ein bisschen frei bewegen" [The serial killer may move a bit freely] (in German). Die Welt. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Catherine Lupton (1 January 2012). The Phantom Sanatorium: Beelitz Heilstatten. Solar Books. ISBN 978-0-9832480-4-0.
- Chalk, Titus; Henze, Jacob & Malmgren, Sigrid (May 5, 2011). "The haunted sanatorium of Beelitz". Exberliner. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- Claus-Dieter Steyer: Beate S. statt „Rosa Riese“: Verurteilter Serienmörder durfte Namen ändern. Tagesspiegel, 7. August 2009. (in German)
- "Hat der Rosa Riese wieder zugeschlagen?" [Has the pink giant struck again?] (in German). B.Z. September 9, 2010. Retrieved 30 March 2014.