|Also known as|
Wolfgang Voigt (born 1961) is an electronic music DJ and producer from Cologne, Germany, known for his output under various aliases, such as Gas. He signed on numerous record labels, including Warp, Harvest, Raster-Noton, Force Inc, Astral Industries and Kompakt. The latter was co-founded by Voigt alongside Michael Mayer and Jürgen Paape. He is considered one of the most influential minimal techno artists.
Life and career
Together with his brother Reinhard Voigt (alias Sweet Reinhard, Kron and Pentax), Wolfgang Voigt is considered one of the founders and most influential artists of the minimal techno scene. With Jörg Burger (The Bionaut, The Modernist) he was influenced by the early acid house in 1988, when both spent some time in London. Voigt and Burger founded the label Trance Atlantic.
He started to produce under the moniker Mike Ink with the Acid EP The Dialogue being his first release. In 1993 Voigt, his brother Reinhard, Jörg Burger and Jürgen Paape founded the record store "Delirium" in Cologne, which later became Kompakt. In the same year he also started Profan. Later followed other imprints such as Kreisel 99 or Auftrieb.
Aliases and projects
Other names under which Voigt has released music include, but are not limited to, All, Auftrieb, Brom, C.K. Decker, Centrifugal Force, Crocker, Dextro NRG, Dieter Gorny, Digital, Dom, Doppel, Filter, Freiland, Fuchsbau, Gelb, Grungerman, Kafkatrax, Love Inc., M:I:5, Mike Ink, Mint, Panthel, Popacid, Riss, RX7, Split Inc., Strass, Studio 1, Tal, Vinyl Countdown, W.V., Wassermann, and X-Lvis.
- "Five records: Wolfgang Voigt". Fact. April 1, 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2017.
- "artnet Asks: Albert Oehlen and Wolfgang Voigt on the Intersection of Art and Techno". Artnet. October 21, 2015. Retrieved August 17, 2017.
- Rabenau, Kai von. "mono.kultur - Wolfgang Voigt". Mono-kultur.com. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- GmbH, musicline.de / PhonoNet. "Genrelexikon - Dance & Electronic - Sound of Cologne - musicline.de". Musicline.de. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- Germany, SPIEGEL ONLINE, Hamburg. "Soundkünstler Wolfgang Voigt: "Ich bin nicht die Madonna des Techno" - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Kultur". SPIEGEL ONLINE. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
- Pareles, Jon (May 31, 2009). "A Minimalist Who Accepts Inspiration From a Maximalist Tradition". The New York Times. Retrieved August 17, 2017.
- "Wolfgang Voigt's pioneering ambient techno gets an anthology box set". The A.V. Club. August 26, 2016. Retrieved August 17, 2017.
- "Wolfgang Voigt's influence on atmospheric music is hard to overstate. First, he helped turn techno ambient as a leader of Germany's minimal scene, where he cofounded the definitive Kompakt label." "The 50 Best Ambient Albums Of All Time". Pitchfork. September 26, 2016. Retrieved April 30, 2017.
- "Wolfgang Voigt Returns with Next Installation of 'Rückverzauberung' Series". Exclaim!. April 10, 2015. Retrieved August 17, 2017.
- Coleman, Jonny (August 11, 2015). "10 Classic Ambient Albums For People Who Don't Know Shit About Ambient". LA Weekly. Retrieved August 17, 2017.
- Kemker, Wolf. "wolfgang voigt @ wolf's kompaktkiste". Kompaktkiste.de. Retrieved June 5, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wolfgang Voigt.|