|Alma mater||Hamburg University|
|Thesis||Theorie, Entwurf und Implementation einer Erklärungskomponente für approximative Inferenzprozesse in natürlich-sprachlichen Dialogsystemen (1981)|
|Doctoral advisor||Wilfried Brauer|
|Doctoral students||Bernhard Nebel|
Wolfgang Wahlster (born February 2, 1953) is a German Artificial Intelligence researcher. He was CEO and Scientific Director of the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence and full professor of computer science at Saarland University, Saarbrücken. Wahlster remains Chief Executive Advisor of the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence. In May 2019, he was honored by the Gesellschaft für Informatik as one of 10 most important heads of German Artificial Intelligence history.
He was awarded the Deutscher Zukunftspreis ("German Future Award") in 2001 and has been a foreign member of the Class for Engineering Sciences of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences since 2003. In 2004, he was elected as a fellow of the Gesellschaft für Informatik.
He graduated from the Max-Planck Gymnasium in Delmenhorst. From 1972 to 1977 he studied computer science and theoretical linguistics at the University of Hamburg, where he received his diploma in 1977. In 1981 he received his doctorate in computer science from the University of Hamburg.
- Rundfunk, Saarländischer (2019-01-23). "Wechsel an der Spitze des DFKI". SR.de (in German). Retrieved 2019-09-11.
- Informatik (GI), Gesellschaft für (2019-07-31). "GI kürt zehn prägende Köpfe und Technologien der deutschen KI-Forschung im Wissenschaftsjahr 2019". Webportal - LIVE (in German). Retrieved 2019-09-09.
- GI-Fellow citation, retrieved 2012-03-09.
- "Education | Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster". Retrieved 2019-10-02.
- Darmstadt, Technische Universität. "The University Council". Technische Universität Darmstadt. Retrieved 2019-09-11.