|Industry||Computer software, Publishing, Research and Development|
|Headquarters||Champaign, Illinois (worldwide headquarters)
with additional locations in Somerville, Massachusetts and Paris, France.
President & CEO, Stephen WolframDirector of Strategic Development & Wolfram Research Europe Limited CEO, Conrad Wolfram
|Products||Mathematica, Wolfram Workbench, gridMathematica, webMathematica, Wolfram Alpha, SystemModeler|
Number of employees
|Divisions||Wolfram Media Inc., Wolfram Research Europe Ltd. in the United Kingdom, Wolfram Research Asia Ltd. in Japan and Wolfram Research South America in Peru.|
Wolfram Research is a private company that creates computational technology. The founder and CEO of Wolfram Research is Stephen Wolfram, an English scientist and author, who is deeply involved in the development of the company's technology, and personally oversees the functional design of the company's core products.
The company launched Wolfram Alpha, an answer engine on 16 May 2009. It brings a new approach to knowledge generation and acquisition that involves large amounts of curated computable data in addition to semantic indexing of text.
Wolfram Research acquired MathCore Engineering AB on March 30, 2011.
On July 21, 2011 Wolfram Research launched the Computable Document Format (CDF). CDF is an electronic document format designed to allow easy authoring of dynamically generated interactive content.
Other products include Wolfram SystemModeler, Wolfram Workbench, gridMathematica, Wolfram Finance Platform,webMathematica, the Wolfram Development Platform, and the Wolfram Programming Lab.
The Wolfram Demonstrations Project is a collaborative site hosting interactive technical demonstrations powered by a free Mathematica Player runtime.
Wolfram Research has organized three Wolfram Science conferences in Boston, MA, Washington, D.C. and Burlington, VT in the United States in the years 2003, 2006 and 2007 respectively. Two other independent NKS Midwest conferences have been organized at the Indiana University, Bloomington in 2005 and 2008. Other independent workshops related to NKS research have been also organized overseas, such as JOUAL (Just One Universal Algorithm) at the CNR in Pisa, Italy in 2009.
Wolfram Research hosts the yearly Wolfram Technology Conference in Champaign, IL. During this three-day conference, developers discuss the latest Wolfram technologies for mobile devices, cloud computing, interactive deployment, and more.
Wolfram Research also hosts the annual Wolfram Data Summit, a high-level gathering of innovators in data science.
They are experimenting with electronic textbook creation.
|Wikinews has related news: Wolfram Research’s new product Alpha to compete with Google and Wikipedia|
- "About Stephen Wolfram". www.stephenwolfram.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- Johnson, Bobbie (2009-03-09). "British search engine 'could rival Google'". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2009-03-09.
- Wolfram, Stephen. "Launching a New Era in Large-Scale Systems Modeling".
- Wolfram Alpha Creator plans to delete the PDF The Telegraph (UK)
- Wolfram makes data interactive PC World
- "Wolfram Language reference page". reference.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Slate's article Stephen Wolfram's New Programming Language: He Can Make The World Computable, March 6, 2014. Retrieved on 2014-05-14.
- "Wolfram Workbench: State-of-the-Art Integrated Development Environment". www.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Wolfram Finance Platform: Ultimate Financial Computation Environment". www.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Wolfram Development Platform: Introducing a Programming Revolution". www.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Wolfram Programming Lab: Computational Thinking Starts Here". www.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Numb3rs 307: Blackout". Cornell University. Retrieved 13 March 2012.
- Stephen Wolfram's A New Kind of Science sets a new standard in more ways than one by Charlotte Abbott, Publishers Weekly, 6/24/2002
- "Wolfram Media: Titles". www.wolfram-media.com. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Wolfram Technology Conference 2016".
- "Wolfram Data Summit 2016: Trends & Innovations in the Universe of Data". www.wolframdatasummit.org. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- Eisenberg, Anne (17 December 2011). "Online Textbooks Aim to Make Science Leap From the Page". The New York Times.
- Official website
- Official blog
- Official Wolfram Research Twitter Account
- Hoovers Fact Sheet on Wolfram Research, Inc.
- Michael Trott: The Science and Art of Mathematica by Tim McIntyre, Science, Apple.com, 2007.
- The Mathematics Behind NUMB3RS, Wolfram's site on NUMB3RS mathematics.
- Supercomputer Pictures Solve the Once Insoluble, John Markoff, The New York Times, October 30, 1988
- Meet an Inventor Whose Product Makes Complex Calculus Simple by Gautam Naik, The Wall Street Journal, September 25, 1996
- Stephen Wolfram's Simple Science by Michael Arndt, Business Week, May 17, 2002.
- Wolfram releases 'revolutionary' Mathematica 6: Mathematica 6 developer promises a 'revolution in computing' by Jonny Evans, MacWorld, May 2, 2007.