Wollongong railway station
Northbound view from Platform 2
|Location||Lowden Square, Wollongong
|Elevation||56 feet (17 m)|
|Operated by||NSW TrainLink|
|Distance||82.92 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||4 (2 side, 2 dock)|
|Opened||21 June 1887|
The original Wollongong railway station (Platform 2) was constructed in 1887. The Platform 2 refreshment room, which is still in use today, was constructed in 1890. The Platform 1 station and refreshment room were constructed in 1923 and 1926 respectively.
In 2005, a new footbridge with lifts opened. On 14 August 2010, in addition to its original car park, a new commuter car park which provides 365 free car spaces including disabled and motorcycle parking, as well as bicycle storage, was opened.
Platforms & services
Wollongong has two side platforms serviced by NSW TrainLink South Coast line services travelling between Sydney Central, Bondi Junction and Kiama, as well as local services from Waterfall and Thirroul to Port Kembla. Peak hour services terminate at Wollongong with carriages stabled in sidings south of the station.
There are also two south facing dock platforms that are occasionally used by Endeavour railcar services. These were used by CPH railmotor services from Moss Vale until these ceased in September 1985 and following electrification of the line from Sydney, by diesel railcar services from the south.
|1||services to Thirroul, Waterfall, Sydney Central & Bondi Junction|||
|2||services to Port Kembla & Kiama|||
Busabout operates one service to and from Wollongong:
Premier Illawarra operates six routes via Wollongong station:
- 34: to Port Kembla
- 37: to Wollongong Beach via Oak Flats & Shellharbour anti-clockwise loop
- 51: Wollongong University to Albion Park
- 53: Wollongong University to Oak Flats station
- 57: to Wollongong Beach via Shellharbour & Oak Flats clockwise loop
- 65: North Beach to Port Kembla station
- Wollongong Station NSWrail.net
- Wollongong Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- New Wollongong commuter car park opens Transport for NSW 14 October 2010|
- New car park to assist rail commuters Illawarra Mercury 13 October 2010
- "South Coast line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 20 October 2013 [amended February 2015].
- "Routes 886, 887 and 888 timetable" (PDF). Busabout. 1 June 2014.
- "Southern Highlands line timetable" (PDF). NSW Trainlink. 18 April 2015.
- "Berkeley, Warrawong & Port Kembla District Timetable" (PDF). Premier Illawarra. 20 October 2013.
- "LakeLink Timetable" (PDF). Premier Illawarra. 20 October 2013.
- "Shellharbour District Timetable" (PDF). Premier Illawarra. 20 October 2013.
- Timetables Premier Motor Service