This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
NG Church in Wolmaransstad
|District||Dr Kenneth Kaunda|
|• Total||41.68 km2 (16.09 sq mi)|
|• Density||87/km2 (230/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||35.4%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)|
Wolmaransstad (Afrikaans for "Wolmarans City") is a maize-farming town situated on the N12 between Johannesburg and Kimberley in North West Province of South Africa. The town lies in an important alluvial diamond-mining area and it is the main town of the Maquassi Hills Local Municipality.
Town 245 km south-west of Johannesburg and 56 km north-east of Bloemhof. It was laid out on the farms Rooderand and Vlakfontein in 1888, and proclaimed a town in 1891. Named after Jacobus M. A. Wolmarans, then member of the Executive Council.
Wolmaransstad serves a large community and is an important diamond buying centre.
- Broadbent Mission Station
- Digger's Diamond route
- Makwassierante Conservation Area
- Wolwespruit Dam Nature Reserve
- Bernardus Gerhardus Fourie (also known as Brand Fourie, 1916–2008), born in Wolmaransstad, South African politician
- Wim Erasmus, South African singer
- Nel-marie Nolan, née Erasmus, Wim's daughter, and wife of Riaan Nolan
- Wolmaransstad Commando, a former light infantry regiment of the South African Army based in Wolmaransstad
- "Main Place Wolmaransstad". Census 2011.
- "Dictionary of Southern African Place Names (Public Domain)". Human Science Research Council. p. 480.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wolmaransstad.|
|This North West Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|