Wolmyeongdong Ambition Rock Portion in Winter
|Location||Seokmak-ri, Jinsan-myeon, Geumsan County, South Chungcheong Province|
|Website||Official English Site|
|Founder||Jeong Myeong Seok|
Wolmyeongdong (a.k.a. Wol Myeong Dong, Hangul: 월명동; Hanja: 月明洞; lit. bright moon valley) is a worship and recreation center in Chungnam Province, South Korea. It is also known as the Recreation Center of the Christian Gospel Mission (CGM). Wolmyeongdong consists of various facilities and buildings on a tract of land of about 991,735 square meters in size.
Development of Wolmyeongdong began in the early 1990s and was led by CGM founder Jeong Myeong Seok. Although construction presently continues, visitors are free to come and go as they please. It has attracted tourists from several countries. It was built with a design in mind that would not damage the surroundings but vitalize the beauty of the surrounding nature as much as possible.
As a recreation center, Wolmyeongdong contains various hiking and walking trails, a pond, an art gallery, a rock museum, a sports field, natural spring water, and various other amenities. However, since it is also a temple in nature that has been dedicated to the Holy Trinity, statues of the Holy Son can be seen around the sports field.
- 1 Rock Landscape
- 2 White Statue of the Holy Son
- 3 Natural Spring Water
- 4 History of Seasonal Events
- 5 Gusang Art Museum
- 6 Prayer assemblies
- 7 Current status and management
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
- 10 External links
At the front mountain of Wolmyeongdong, there is a rock landscape called the Ambition Masterpiece. At the very end of the Ambition Masterpiece is a tall boulder that serves as a signboard for this natural temple. Engraved on it are the words Natural Temple in Korean. At the top of the Ambition Masterpiece, there are twin boulders with the inscription: "All this has been designed by God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, and protected by the Lord Jesus Christ. We have worked as Their hands and as their feet."
White Statue of the Holy Son
Wolmyeongdong houses a monumental statue of Jesus that is entirely white. It depicts Jesus in a flowing robe with arms wide open, standing firmly upon a pedestal surrounded by a marble fence. The statue of Jesus stands in a prominent location within the retreat center next to the lawn sanctuary. Besides this white statue, there is also a bronze statue of Jesus and a stone statue.
Natural Spring Water
Natural spring water flows in abundance from multiple areas in Wolmyeongdong in all seasons except Winter, when most the springs are frozen.
History of Seasonal Events
During each of the four seasons, CGM hosts various events throughout the year which include the summer retreats, spring flower festivals, and autumn rock festivals.
Spring Flower Festival
2014 Fragrant Flower Flower Aroma Festival
From 2014 April 21 to May 20, CGM held a spring flower festival in Wolmyeongdong, called the Fragrant Flower Flower Aroma Festival. During the event, there were various art contests along the trail to the cultural center. The festival was based on this underlying theme: “In this place, everything is art."
2015 Flower Queen Festival
From 2015 May 2 to May 10, CGM held another flower festival called the Flower Queen Festival in Wolmyeondong. Instead of contests, the festival's activities revolved around performances and videos. There was also an exhibition of proverbs written by Jeong Myeong Seok displayed in front of the Front Mountain. The proverbs explored the value of life and the value of receiving salvation.
“Flowers are beautiful and fragrant. However, they wither away in an instant. In this way, life is like a flower, and the life of the physical body is a life of vanity.” - Proverb by Jeong Myeong Seok
If you visit Wolmyeongdong during spring, you can enjoy the Natural Temple along with all of the flowers that have blossomed. One of the best places to go is the King Cherry Blossom Woods located behind the Holy Son’s House of Love. You are free to take pictures and sometimes lunch is provided.
2016 Myeong (Bright) Flower Festival
From 2016 April 30 to May 8, CGM held their most recent flower festival called the Myeong Flower Festival in Wolmyeongdong. The flower festival was based on the idea that Christians are flowers with the fragrance of the Lord.
“Our purpose for living is for our Creator. It is for Him that we live. Just as a flower must have its fragrance, as believers, let us become people who spread the Lord’s fragrance and love.” - Director of the Wolmyeongdong Recreation Center
The 2016 Myeong Flower Festival differentiated itself from the previous flower festivals by including the local residents of Geumsan in the spring picnic held on May 4 and by having events on May 7 that the members of CGM could enjoy with their parents.
Autumn rock festivals
After the initial success of the 2011 Rock Gem Festival, which had over 40,000 visitors, the Rock Gem Festival has become an annual event along with Wolmyeongdong’s Flower Festivals, which also began in 2011.
2012 Gem Rock Festival
On 2012 Oct 22, CGM held their second Rock Gem Festival. It was held with the purpose of getting people to think about the value of life while not only looking at the trails throughout Wolmyeongdong but also the rocks.
A person from the rock festival committee conveyed the purpose of the festival saying:
“If you think of the time from the birth of the universe to the creation of the Earth, in a way, it takes 13 billion years for a rock to be made. So we try to think about how our lives have that much value and dignity, just like how God has been shaping nature until each rock has become its current figure.”
2013 Third Rock Treasure & Life Treasure Festival
From 2013 Sep 28 to Oct 27, CGM held their third Rock Gem Festival. During the rock festival, CGM also held their National Soccer Tournament from October 10 to 12. Following the soccer tournament, there was a dance contest, “Move with the Sound of God,” on October 19. From then until October 27, there were other cultural events such as “The Music Concert Celebration of the Holy Son’s House of Love” and “The Dance Festival and Korean Traditional Music Festival with New Songs.”
In various places around Wolmyeongdong, from Heotgol to Nongol, 88 proverbs written by Jeong Myeong Seok were placed around so that people could remember the Creator and give glory to Him while enjoying God’s creations and the rock gemstones littered throughout Wolmyeongdong.
Gusang Art Museum
Throughout the year, various types of artwork are displayed in the Gusang Art Museum in Wolmyeongdong.
A snail like the one in “Destiny” is the stork’s favorite prey. No one will say that the snail has any chance of survival, not even the stork: “You are my prey. You will be dead in one peak.” However, the snail did not surrender to death but said, “I will live.” It runs with all its might to avoid death, but no matter how fast the snail may run, before the stork, its speed is like that of an hour hand before the second hand.
If you make a reservation at least one day before you go, you can view the exhibition while receiving a detailed explanation of the paintings from one of the museum’s guides. Admission is free and the gallery is open from 10am to 5pm. However, it is closed every Wednesday.
CGM also holds prayer assemblies in Wolmyeongdong.
On 23 April 2014, CGM held a prayer meeting in Wolmyeongdong to pray for the victims of the Sewol Ferry incident and for all nations in the world to realize the value of life.
Other prayer assemblies in Wolmyeongdong have centered on praying for the future and peace of Korea. Since Jung emphasizes peace and harmony rather than on winning, the events in Wolmyeongdong engage people to interact harmoniously, whether it may be in sports competitions or struggles between nations.
Current status and management
Currently, CGM is developing its third waterfall next to the Holy Son’s House of Love. The area will be developed into a courtyard where people can swim in a 21 meter long swimming pool or enjoy the scenery of the lake and other areas while praising God.
- "[환경소방경찰신문] 세계 50여개국 20여만명의 회원 보유, 기독교사의 이정표 - 만남과대화, 정명석 목사, jms, 월명동, 기독교복음선교회" [[Environment, Fire and Police Services Newspaper] MILESTONE IN CHRISTIAN HISTORY 20,000 Members, 50 Nations]. god21.net. Retrieved 2016-10-10.
- "기독교복음선교회 '제2회 돌보석축제' 개최 - 한국대학신문" [Opening ‘The Second Rock Gem Festival’ by the Christian Gospel Mission] (in Korean). 2012-09-14. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/15062?page=6.
- Moon, Il-suk (17 May 2010). "Chairman Jung Myung Seok's Natural Temple an "Inspirational Temple"". Breaknews. Archived from the original on 21 Feb 2017. Retrieved 24 Feb 2017.
- "Newly Changing Christian Gospel Mission". Newsmaker. 7 July 2010. Archived from the original on 21 Feb 2017. Retrieved 24 Feb 2017.
'모든 구상은 하나님, 감동은 성령님, 보호는 예수그리스도' '이 모든 구상은 하나님, 감동은 성령님, 보호는 예수그리스도, 기술실천은 나와 제자들', 앞산 돌조경에 새겨진 머릿글은 기독교복음선교회의 수련원 월명동이 어떻게 만들어졌는지를 한눈에 알 수 있게 한다. 특히 수련원 안에 사람들이 가장 잘 보이는 곳에 세워진 예수님 상이 인상적이다. You can understand how the Christian Gospel Mission's retreat center, Wolmyeongdong, was made through the inscriptions on the rock landscape at the front mountain which writes "All these have been designed by God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, protected by the Lord Jesus Christ, and we have worked as their hands and as their feet." In particular, there is a statue of Jesus which stands at a prominent place in Wolmyeongdong.
- "Natural Temple Signboard Rock". Wolmyeongdong. February 15, 2017. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- "The Second 'Fragrant Flower Flower Aroma Festival' from Christian Gospel Mission". 2014-04-21. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/15044?page=6.
- "기독교복음선교회 '꽃여왕축제'…기쁨과 감사로 하나님께 영광돌려" [The Flower Queen Festival organized by the Christian Gospel Mission. Let’s give glory with joy and thanksgiving]. 보도뉴스. 2015-05-28. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/37522?page=2.
- "기독교복음선교회 '2016 명꽃 축제' 열려" [‘2016 Myeong Flower Festival’ held by the Christian Gospel Mission]. 보도뉴스. 2016-06-20. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/45284?page.
- "정명석 총재 '2013년 생명보석 축제 행사'" [President Jung Myeong Seok: “The 2013 Life Festival”]. 보도뉴스. 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/23665?page=4.
- "[우리들뉴스] 기독교복음선교회(총재 정명석),월명동 돌보석 생명보석 축제 성료" [Christian Gospel Mission, Wolmyeongdong Rock Treasure, Life Treasure Festival Successfully Ended]. 우리들뉴스. 2013-11-05. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/23501?page=3.
- "기독교복음선교회 주최, '제3회 월명동 돌보석 생명보석 축제'" [Christian Gospel Mission 'The Third Wolmyeongdong Rock Treasure, Life Treasure Festival']. 뉴스웨이브. 2013-10-17. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/22873?page=4.
- "기독교복음선교회 정명석 총재, '회화 작품' 전시회 열려" [The ‘art exhibition’ of President Jung Myeong Seok, Christian Gospel Mission, has begun]. 보도뉴스. 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/32226?page=3.
- "[우리들뉴스] 기독교복음선교회 정명석 총재 '회화 작품' 전시회, 충남 금산서 개최" [The ‘art exhibition’ of President Jung Myeong Seok, Christian Gospel Mission, has begun]. 우리들뉴스. 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/26008?page=3.
- "기독교복음선교회 '세월호 희생자 추모기도회' 개최" [Christian Gospel Mission Holds a Prayer Service in Memory of Sewol Ferry Victims]. 보도뉴스. 2014-04-25. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/27403?page=2.
- "JMS 기독교복음선교회 '63주년 6.25기념' 연합기도회" [JMS Christian Gospel Mission holds united prayer assembly to ‘commemorate the 63rd year of the Korean War’]. 뉴스웨이브. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/22409?page=5.
- "기독교복음선교회 95주년 3.1절 구국기도회개최" [Opening of the "Save the Nation" Prayer Meeting by the Christian Gospel Mission in Celebration of their 95th Anniversary as of March 1st (Samiljeol)]. 뉴스웨이브. 2014-03-07. Retrieved 2016-10-10 – via http://god21.net/Square/News/Center/View/26007?page=3.
- "Banquet Courtyard Construction". Wolmyeongdong God 21. December 6, 2016. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wolmyeongdong.|