1968 45rpm dust cover
|Single by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap|
|from the album Woman, Woman|
|B-side||"Don't Make Promises"|
|Released||October, 1967 (Debuted on the Hot 100 the week ending November 11, 1967)|
|Songwriter(s)||Jim Glaser, Jimmy Payne|
|Gary Puckett & The Union Gap singles chronology|
"Woman, Woman" is a song written and composed by Jim Glaser and Jimmy Payne and recorded by Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, using session musicians from "The Wrecking Crew," for their 1968 debut album, Woman, Woman. Like most of the band's hits, it is a ballad centered around Gary Puckett's soulful vocals. The lyrics are from the perspective of a man who senses that his wife is dissatisfied with him sexually, and fears that she is going to start "cheating" on him. The song went to number 3 in Cash Box and number 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in early 1968.
The band recorded the song in August of 1967; it, the group's debut single, was certified as a million-selling Gold disc in February of 1968. The B-side was a cover of the Tim Hardin song "Don't Make Promises."
An international success, the song went to number 1 in Canada in 1967 and also reached number 7 in Australia.
- Richard Barnes released a version of the song as a single in the UK in 1968, but it did not chart.
- Glen Campbell released a cover version of the song on his 1968 album, Hey Little One.
- Jim Glaser, who co-wrote the song, released it as a single in 1975, taking it to number 43 on the Hot Country Singles chart. It later appeared on his 1983 album, The Man in the Mirror.
- Lloyd Green released a cover version of the song on his 1968 album, Mr. Nashville Sound.
- Ted Heath
- The Lettermen released a cover version of the song on their 1968 album, Put Your Head on My Shoulder.
- Hartman, Kent (2012). The Wrecking Crew. St. Martin’s Griffin. pp. 261–263. ISBN 978-1-250-03046-7.
- Gary Puckett & The Union Gap, Woman, Woman Retrieved September 27, 2011
- Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's charting singles. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- Band entry at Allmusic.com. Accessed September 27, 2011
- Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 232. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.
- Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's song chart entries Retrieved September 27, 2011
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 442. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Richard Barnes, "Woman, Woman" single release Retrieved June 24, 2015
- Glen Clampbell, Hey, Little One Retrieved September 27, 2011
- Jim Glaser, Man in the Mirror Retrieved September 27, 2011
- Lloyd Green, Mr. Nashville Sound Retrieved September 27, 2011
- The Lettermen, Put Your Head on My Shoulder Retrieved September 27, 2011