Women's Flat Track Derby Association Division 1
The Women's Flat Track Derby Association Division 1 (WFTDA Division 1) is the highest level of play in women's flat track roller derby.
The division consists of the forty highest-ranked members of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association, based on performance over the previous year.
Historically, the WFTDA instead operated four regions: East, North Central, South Central and West. At the start of 2013, these were redivided into three divisions, each operating worldwide. However, foreseeing continued growth in membership, the WFTDA stated that future developments were likely to include new regional structures alongside the divisional system.
Teams in Division 1 play in bouts through the year, aiming to qualify for one of the four Division 1 Playoffs. Starting with 2015, sanctioned-game play requirements were modified to be simply any 4 WFTDA-sanctioned games played between December 1 of the previous calendar year and June 30, without a requirement to play a certain number of games against similarly-ranked opponents. Teams which do not play a minimum number of sanctioned bouts are not permitted to compete at the Playoffs. Eligible teams ranked 41-60 as of June of the calendar year remain eligible for Division 2 Playoffs.
The 2014 Division 1 membership list was announced on 9 December 2013, based on the overall rankings that took effect as of 30 November 2013. The membership of Division 1 for 2014 mostly comprised teams from the United States, but also Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom. With Division 1 game play requirements abandoned starting with the 2015 season, this list comprises the most recent list of Division 1 membership, as the division designation currently only exists for playoff tournament placement.
|League||City||Country||Entered division||Left division||Destiny|
|Arizona Roller Derby||Phoenix, AZ||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|Brewcity Bruisers||Milwaukee, WI||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|Carolina Rollergirls||Raleigh, NC||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|Chicago Outfit Roller Derby||Chicago, IL||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|DC Rollergirls||Washington, DC||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|Dutchland Rollers||Lancaster, PA||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|Omaha Rollergirls||Omaha, NE||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
|Tallahassee Rollergirls||Tallahassee, FL||United States||1 January 2013||9 December 2013||Division 2|
Division 1 Playoffs
Teams in Division 1 play in bouts through the year, aiming to qualify for one of the four Division 1 Playoffs. Each Playoff includes ten teams. However, Division 1 teams are not guaranteed a playoff spot, as teams in lower divisions can qualify by being ranked among the top forty WFTDA members. Additionally, teams which do not play a minimum number of sanctioned bouts are not permitted to compete at the Playoffs, with Division 1 teams required to play at least 4 WFTDA-sanctioned bouts following the previous year's championship and the current year's June 30, with at least 3 of those being against other D1 teams.
All four of the 2013 Playoffs were played in the United States. The top three teams from each Playoff qualify for the WFTDA Championships, and the London Rollergirls became the first ever non-U.S. team to achieve this. The Oly Rollers, who on June 30 2013 were ranked 3rd overall, chose not to compete in the required minimum sanctioned games, with the full knowledge they would miss the WFTDA tournaments as a result. Oly still remains a member of the WFTDA and may qualify for 2014 WFTDA playoffs if they meet their requirements.
|Fort Wayne, IN||6-8 September 2013||Denver Roller Dolls||Ohio Rollergirls||London Rollergirls|
|Richmond, VA||13-15 September 2013||Texas Rollergirls||Philly Roller Girls||Angel City Derby Girls|
|Asheville, NC||20-22 September 2013||Gotham Girls Roller Derby||Rocky Mountain Rollergirls||Windy City Rollers|
|Salem, OR||27-29 September 2013||B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls||Atlanta Rollergirls||Rat City Rollergirls|
All four of the 2014 Playoff tournaments were again played in the United States, and again the top three teams from each tournament qualified for the 2014 WFTDA Championships.
|Sacramento, CA||5-7 September 2014||Gotham Girls Roller Derby||Denver Roller Dolls||Minnesota Rollergirls|
|Evansville, IN||19-21 September 2014||London Rollergirls||Windy City Rollers||Texas Rollergirls|
|Salt Lake City, UT||26-28 September 2014||B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls||Angel City Derby Girls||Rocky Mountain Rollergirls|
|Charleston, WV||3-5 October 2014||Rose City Rollers||Victorian Roller Derby League||Philly Roller Girls|
The same format was used for the 2015 Playoffs.
|Tucson, AZ||4-6 September 2015||Victorian Roller Derby League||B.ay A.rea D.erby Girls||Arch Rival Roller Girls|
|Dallas, TX||11-13 September 2015||Rose City Rollers||Texas Rollergirls||Rat City Rollergirls|
|Jacksonville, FL||18-20 September 2015||London Rollergirls||Jacksonville RollerGirls||Denver Roller Derby|
|Omaha, NE||2-4 October 2015||Gotham Girls Roller Derby||Angel City Derby Girls||Minnesota RollerGirls|
- "WFTDA Competitive Divisions System", WFTDA
- "WFTDA Releases Nov. 30 Rankings, Announces Change to Division Assignment Process". WFTDA. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Nov. 30 WFTDA Rankings, New Division Assignments Released". WFTDA. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "November 30, 2013". Rankings. WFTDA. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Jennings, Hannah (11 December 2013). "WFTDA Releases November Rankings – Top 3 stable, big gain for London". Derby News Network. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Coby, Alex Sassoon (8 June 2013). "Oly Tournament Eligibility in Question". Derby News Network. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Three Quarters of WFTDA D1 Championships Teams Set", WFTDA, 24 September 2013
- Coby, Alex Sassoon (19 June 2013). "Oly Confirms 2013 WFTDA Playoff Absence". Derby News Network. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Mednick, Matthew (5 September 2014). "WFTDA Division I playoffs: Denver dusts Santa Cruz Derby Girls". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Wise, Beck (7 September 2014). "D1S: Gotham Surmounts Denver, 193-89". Derby News Network. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Wise, Beck (7 September 2014). "D1S 3rd: Minnesota Slaughters Rat City, 197-142". Derby News Network. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Frye, Andy (17 September 2014). "Meet Julie Brandt-Glass, The Usain Bolt Of Roller Derby". ESPN. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "London Rollergirls Win WFTDA Playoffs Evansville". WFTDA. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Sheehan, Gavin (21 August 2014). "Wasatch Roller Derby: 2014 Championship Preview". City Weekly. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Bay Are Wins WFTDA Playoffs Salt Lake City". WFTDA. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Ten of world's best roller derby teams competing in Charleston". Herald-Dispatch. 30 September 2014. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- Vondersmith, Jason (30 October 2014). "Wheels of Justice compete to be queens of the world rink". Portland Tribune. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "Oct. 3-5: Charleston, West Virginia, USA". WFTDA. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- WFTDA, "2015 International Playoffs & Championships"