Women's Flat Track Derby Association Division 2
The Women's Flat Track Derby Association Division 2 (WFTDA Division 2) is the second-highest level of play in women's flat track roller derby.
For 2013 and 2014, the division consisted of the members of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association who were ranked from 41 to 100. The rankings were set at the start of each year, based on performance over the previous year. Although rankings are updated during the year, teams would only transfer between divisions at the start of each year. Teams in Division 2 played in bouts through the year, aiming to qualify for one of the end-of-year playoff tournaments. Any Division 2 teams which were ranked in the WFTDA's top forty at the end of June each year qualified for the WFTDA Division 1 Playoffs. Those ranked between 41 and 60, which might have included WFTDA Division 3 teams who met sanctioned-game play requirements, qualified for one of the two Division 2 Playoffs.
Starting with 2015, sanctioned-game play requirements were modified to be simply any 4 WFTDA-sanctioned games played between December 1 of the previous calendar year and June 30, without a requirement to play a certain number of games against similarly-ranked opponents. Teams which do not play a minimum number of sanctioned bouts are not permitted to compete at the Playoffs. Eligible teams ranked 41-60 as of June of the calendar year remain eligible for Division 2 Playoffs.
Historically, the WFTDA divided member leagues into four geographical regions: East, North Central, South Central and West. At the start of 2013, these were redivided into three divisions, each operating worldwide. However, foreseeing continued growth in membership, the WFTDA stated that future developments were likely to include new regional structures alongside the divisional system.
The 2014 Division 2 membership list was announced on 9 December 2013, based on the overall rankings that took effect as of 30 November 2013. The membership of Division 2 in 2014 mostly comprised teams from the United States, but also three from Canada and two from Scotland. With Division 2 game play requirements abandoned starting with the 2015 season, this list comprises the most recent list of Division 2 membership, as the division designation currently only exists for playoff tournament placement.
Both of the 2013 Playoff tournaments were played in the United States.
|Des Moines, IA||16-18 August 2013||Jet City Rollergirls||Blue Ridge Rollergirls||Treasure Valley Rollergirls|
|Kalamazoo, MI||23-25 August 2013||Santa Cruz Derby Girls||Sac City Rollers||Killamazoo Derby Darlins|
|Milwaukee, WI||8-10 November, 2013||Jet City Rollergirls||Santa Cruz Derby Girls||Blue Ridge Rollergirls|
The first 2014 Playoff tournament was held in Duluth, Minnesota, and the second was held in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, the first WFTDA Playoff tournament to be held outside the United States. At Kitchener-Waterloo, the Rideau Valley Roller Girls from Ottawa, Ontario became the first non-American team to win a WFTDA playoff tournament.
|Duluth, MN||15-17 August 2014||Detroit Derby Girls||Fabulous Sin City Rollergirls||St. Chux Derby Chix|
|Kitchener-Waterloo, ON||22-24 August 2014||Rideau Valley Roller Girls||Bear City Roller Derby||Killamazoo Derby Darlins|
|Nashville, TN||31 October - 2 November, 2014||Detroit Derby Girls||Rideau Valley Roller Girls||Bear City Roller Derby|
- "WFTDA Releases Nov. 30 Rankings, Announces Change to Division Assignment Process". WFTDA. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "WFTDA Competitive Divisions System", WFTDA
- "Current Rankings". WFTDA. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "Nov. 30 WFTDA Rankings, New Division Assignments Released". WFTDA. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- 2013 Championships
- "Top women's roller derby teams head to Duluth". CTV News. 15 August 2014. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Rivet, Christine (23 August 2014). "Derby gals invade Waterloo". Waterloo Record. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Scholey, Lucy (29 August 2014). "Ottawa roller derby team scores first international tournament win". Metro. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "August 15-17, 2014: Duluth, Minnesota, USA". WFTDA. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "August 22-24: Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario, Canada". WFTDA. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- "Oct. 31 - Nov. 2: Nashville, Tennessee, USA". WFTDA. Retrieved 27 March 2015.