Women's Reservation Bill
|Women's Reservation Bill|
|Parliament of India|
|Enacted by||Parliament of India|
|Part of a series on the|
|Constitution of India|
The Women's Reservation Bill or The Constitution (108th Amendment) Bill, 2008, is passed in the Parliament of India which propose to amend the Constitution of India to reserve 1/3rd of all seats in the Lower house of Parliament of India, the Lok Sabha, and in all state legislative assemblies for women. The seats were proposed to be reserved in rotation and would have been determined by draw of lots in such a way that a seat would be reserved only once in three consecutive general elections.
There is a long-term plan to extend this reservation to parliament and legislative assemblies. Its opponents consider this preferential treatment of women in India as discrimination against them in admissions to schools, colleges, and universities.
- Law in India
- Women in India
- Domestic violence in India
- Dowry system in India
- Female foeticide in India
- Gender inequality in India
- Gender pay gap in India
- Men's rights movement in India
- National Commission for Women
- Rape in India
- Welfare schemes for women in India
- Women in India
- Women in Indian Armed Forces
- Women's suffrage in India
- "Rajya Sabha passes Women's Reservation Bill". The Times Of India. 9 March 2010.
- "Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar calls for women's empowerment — Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 9 March 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- "Uproar in India Over Female Lawmaker Quota". The New York Times. 9 March 2010.
- "Bill Track- Women's Reservation Bill [The Constitution (108th Amendment) Bill, 2008]". www.prsindia.maliniorg. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- Chattopadhyay, Raghabendra, and Esther Duflo (2004). "Women as Policy Makers: Evidence from a Randomized Policy Experiment in India". Econometrica. The Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab. 72 (5): 1409–43. Retrieved 14 December 2018.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Women are seeking 33% reservation in jobs, promotions
- Women's Bill: What's the fuss about? Rediff 24 August 2005.
- The reservations business, Indian Express, 11 August 1998.