Women Divers Hall of Fame
|Legal status||Nonprofit tax-exempt 501C(3)|
|Purpose||To honor the accomplishments of women divers|
|Fields||Women in underwater diving|
|Patti Kirk Gross|
The Women Divers Hall of Fame (WDHOF) is an international honor society. Its purpose is to honor the accomplishments of women divers, and their contributions to various fields of underwater diving. Full membership is restricted to nominees who have been found to meet the WDHOF's criteria, which include being an underwater diver and having contributed to diving in ways recognised as being significant.
Scholarships and grants
The WDHOF awards many scholarships and training grants to support women of "all ages who are pursuing careers involving diving" including the J. Berman Memorial Grant for Sea Turtle Conservation, the Sherry Reed Memorial Undergraduate Marine Conservation Scholarship, Laurel Clark Sea to Space Physiology Research Grant and the Amelia Behrens-Furniss Memorial Hardhat Dive Training Grant.
As of 2023, there are 254 members. They include:
|Pamela Balash-Webber||1953-2020||2022||Co-founder of the Virgin Islands Diving Association, PADI course director, and promoter of ocean conservation|
|Carole Baldwin||2022||Scientist, author, and educator. An authority on marine biology, especially tropical-marine fishes, conservation and sustainable seafood|
|Sally Bauer||2011||Diving museum founder and historian, aquaculturist, author, and public speaker|
|Amelia Behrens-Furniss||1895-1970||2012||Pioneering American deep sea diver|
|Wendy Benchley||2015||Marine conservation leader, governmental policy advocate, and spokesperson on shark conservation|
|Bette Bolivar||1962-||2005||US Navy Diving and Salvage Officer; commanding Officer of USS Salvor, and of the Navy Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit|
|Mary Bonnin||2001||First woman US Navy Master Diver; US Navy diving instructor; naval diving safety advocate|
|Cathy Church||1945-||2000||American marine biologist, SCUBA diver, underwater photographer and educator|
|Eugenie Clark||1922-2015||2022||An American ichthyologist known for both her research on shark behaviour and her study of fish in the order Tetraodontiformes; a pioneer in the field of scuba diving for research purposes|
|Laurel B. Clark||1961-2003||2003||Clark did active duty training with the Diving Medicine Department at the United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit; completed Navy undersea medical officer training at the Naval Undersea Medical Institute in Groton, Connecticut, and diving medical officer training at the Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center; she dove with Navy divers and Naval Special Warfare Unit Two SEALs and performed many medical evacuations from US submarines; designated as a Naval Submarine Medical Officer and Diving Medical Officer|
|Annie Crawley||1968-||2010||American underwater photographer, filmmaker, speaker, educator, and ocean advocate. In 2007, she founded Dive Into Your Imagination, a multimedia ocean inspiration, entertainment, and education series for youth.|
|Mandy-Rae Cruickshank||1974-||2009||Canadian World champion free-diver and record-holder|
|Sylvia Earle||1935-||2000||Oceanographer and marine biologist (former Chief Scientist at NOAA), author and consultant|
|Dottie Frazier||1922-2022||2000||American diver and dive shop owner; the first female scuba instructor and the first female dive shop owner.|
|Honor Frost||1917-2010||2019||Pioneer in the field of underwater archaeology, who led Mediterranean archaeological investigations and was noted for her typology of stone anchors and skills in archaeological illustration|
|Elsie Gabriel||2023||Indian environmentalist and underwater diver|
|Lotte Hass||1928-2015||2000||Austrian underwater diver, model and actress|
|Hillary Hauser||1944-||2000||American photojournalist and environmental activist with a focus on the oceans — underwater diving adventure, politics, and conservation|
|Mehgan Heaney-Grier||1977-||2000||American champion free-diver|
|Jill Heinerth||1965-||2000||Canadian cave diver, underwater explorer, writer, photographer and film-maker|
|Denise Herzing||2021||Founder and Research Director of the Wild Dolphin Project|
|Lauren Hutton||1943-||2007||Conservationist and scuba advocate|
|Darlene Iskra||1952-||2008||US Navy diving and salvage officer, first woman to command a commissioned US Navy ship, public speaker, and author|
|Karen Kohanowich||2001||Retired U.S. Naval officer and ocean research and technology program manager for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research (OER)|
|Dení Ramírez Macías||1978-||2021||Mexican marine biologist ocean scientist, and conservationist, and director of Whale Shark México (Tiburon Ballena Mexico)|
|Andrea Marshall||2023||marine biologist known for wildlife conservation and research on large marine animals like manta rays & whale sharks; co-founder and a principal scientist of the Marine Megafauna Foundation|
|Simone Melchior-Cousteau||1919-1990||2017||First woman scuba diver and aquanaut; wife and business partner of undersea explorer Jacques-Yves Cousteau|
|Audrey Mestre||1974-2002||2002||French world record-setting freediver|
|Zale Parry||1933-||2000||American pioneer scuba diver, underwater photographer and actress|
|Lesley Rochat||2010||South African marine and shark conservationist, campaigner, wildlife filmmaker, underwater photographer, environmental writer, author, speaker and activist. She founded the non-profit organisation AfriOceans Conservation Alliance|
|Dee Scarr||2000||American environmentalist, marine naturalist, and scuba diver|
|Claudia Serpieri||2002||Italian world-record technical diver and instructor|
|Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper||1963-||2007||American salvage officer. Projects include de-stranding the tanker Exxon Houston off the coast of Barbers Point, on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, and developing the plan for the Peruvian Navy salvage of the Peruvian submarine|
|Tanya Streeter||1973-||2000||British-Caymanian-American world champion freediver|
|Kathryn Sullivan||1951-||2008||American, first woman to dive into the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench|
|Valerie Taylor||1935-||2000||Australian diver, underwater photographer and film maker|
|Donna Tobias||1952-2010||2001||United States Navy's first female deep sea diver|
|Ruth Turner||1914-2000||2001||Pioneering U.S. marine biologist and malacologist|
|Michele Westmorland||2011||American photographer, specializing in underwater photography|
|Susan Williams||1951-2018||2019||American marine biologist|
|Cristina Zenato||1971-||2011||Shark protection consultant; TDI and NSS-CDS technical and full cave instructor; explorer, surveyor and mapper of cave systems; and ocean advocate|
- "Women Divers Hall of Fame". www.wdhof.org. Retrieved 19 June 2022.
- "Officers". www.wdhof.org. Retrieved 19 June 2022.
- "Women Veteran Divers Assist National Park Service in Underwater Surveys - Channel Islands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)". National Park Service. 22 November 2019. Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- "Women Divers Hall of Fame". Skin Diver. Petersen Publishing Company. 50 (9). September 2001.
- "Women Divers Hall of Fame Inducts Six New Members for 2015". California Diver Magazine. 24 March 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- Singh, Vijay (25 June 2023). "Mumbai woman inducted in Women Divers Hall of Fame in USA". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 June 2023.
- "Member Nominations". www.wdhof.org. Retrieved 20 June 2022.
- "About". www.wdhof.org. Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- "Women Divers Hall of Fame Announces Scholarships". Ocean News & Technology. Vol. 10, no. 3. 2004. p. 63. ProQuest 199926226.
- "New Inductees for Women's Diving Hall". Sport Diver. Vol. 9, no. 2. March 2001. p. 17.
- "Women Divers Hall of Fame Announces 2015 Scholarship Program". californiadiver.com. Retrieved 2023-09-07.
- Tanabe, Gen (2022). The Ultimate Scholarship Book 2022 Billions Of Dollars In Scholarships, Grants And Prizes. Belmont, California: SuperCollege. p. 390. ISBN 1-61760-164-0.
- Laguardia-Kotite, Martha (25 May 2021). Changing the Rules of Engagement: Inspiring Stories of Courage and Leadership from Women in the Military. U of Nebraska Press. p. 241. ISBN 978-1-64012-473-8.
- "Deadline for 2015 Women Divers Hall of Fame scholarships and training grants: 28 November". Ocean News & Technology. Vol. 20, no. 10. October 2014. p. 16. ProQuest 1615352472.
- Durbin-Sherer, Erin (15 November 2019). "Women Divers Hall Of Fame Has Been Celebrating Extraordinary Divers For 20 Years! - DeeperBlue.com". www.deeperblue.com. Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- "Member Roster". www.wdhof.org. Retrieved 19 June 2022.
- Johnson, Kalie (20 June 2018). "BW biology alumna celebrates lifelong passion with growing diving museum". Baldwin Wallace University. Retrieved 14 May 2022.
- "Women Divers Hall of Fame Inducts Six New Members for 2015". Florida Diver. March 24, 2015. Retrieved October 19, 2019.
- Cole, William (25 February 2017). "Naval region gets Hawaii-born leader". Honolulu Star-Advertiser. ProQuest 1871919931.
- "Master Chief Mary Bonnin". www.navy.mil. Retrieved 17 May 2022.
- "Dive Into Your Imagination: Manta Encounter in Raja Ampat".
- Weber, Katherine (June 13, 2010). "The Imagination of Ocean Annie". Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved November 9, 2015.
- "Dive Into Your Imagination". Annie Crawley. Retrieved November 6, 2015.
- Denny, Megan (2017-03-23). "7 Women in Diving Everyone Should Know". blog.padi.com. Retrieved 2020-12-16.
- "Wild Dolphin Project". Wild Dolphin Project.
- "Dra. Dení Ramírez Macías - Articulando Conocimiento Global". Innovation Match MX (in Spanish). 2012-04-17.
- Lunn, Rosemary E. (8 March 2021). "WDHOF announces new Simone Melchior Cousteau Grant". X-Ray International Dive Magazine. Retrieved 28 July 2021.
- Helen Bamford (20 Feb 2010) Hall of Fame for marine Conservationist. The Saturday Star. Retrieved 1 October 2014
- Diving with sharks on Top Billing SABC3 (5 July 2013) Retrieved 14 February 2015
- Swimming with Jaws: Campaigner does a bikini swim with sharks to help ban shark nets (23 August 2013) UK Daily Mirror
- More Judges, Divesite Archived 17 February 2015 at archive.today
- Underwater Photographer Lesley Rochat (16 March 2012) Underwater Photographers
- Save our priceless oceans (10 October 2013)Cape Times Lesley Rochat
- Speakers of Note Archived 12 May 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- Activist entangles herself in sea net for campaign (11 May 2012)Cape Argus Lauren Manning
- Kirkby, Sarah (4 May 2011). "Local diver is recognized at 'Women Divers Hall Of Fame'". www.thebahamasweekly.com. Retrieved 17 May 2022.