Women in Fiji
Native Fijian women, 1935.
|Global Gender Gap Index|
|Rank||117th out of 136|
|Women in society|
Women in Fiji live in or are from the Republic of Fiji. On March 8, 2007, The Fiji Times ONLINE described Fijian women as playing an important role in the fields of economic and social development in Fijian society. The women of the Republic of Fiji are the "driving force" in health service as nurses and medical doctors. They are also key players and managers in the tourism and entertainment industries, as well as teachers in the field of education.
According to the article Women's work and fertility in Fiji, "the presence of very young children and larger family sizes contribute to the low level of labour force participation of Fijian and Indian women in Fiji." By culture and tradition, a woman in Fiji lives in a paternalistic and patriarchal society wherein she has a secondary role at home performing household chores that include cooking meals and cleaning the house. As community and village members women are treated as subservient to men.
By tradition, most of the cooking is performed by Fijian women. Indo-Fijian cuisine may include food made from starch and involves the use of relishes made from vegetables. If available, meat and fish are also eaten. Flatbread may be made from locally grown rice or from imported flour. Traditional Indo-Fijian eating custom requires that women eat separately from men. For religious reasons Hindu Indo-Fijians avoid consuming beef and Muslim Indo-Fijians avoid consuming pork.
- "The Global Gender Gap Report 2013" (PDF). World Economic Forum. pp. 12–13.
- "Roles women play". The Fiji Times ONLINE. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- Rakaseta, Vilimaina L. "Women's work and fertility in Fiji" (PDF). Pacific Health Dialog Vol. 2 No. 1. Original Papers. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "The traditional Fijian". Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- Walker, Anthony R. "Fiji". Retrieved 14 October 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Women of Fiji.|
- Ministry of Women, Social Welfare & Housing
- Fijian women, Fiji - Fijian women in street, Lonely Planet
- National Council of Women Fiji
- Fiji Women's Rights Movement
- Fiji Women's Crisis Centre
- Chan, Iris. The different roles of men and women in a Fijian village, Oceania Cultural Internships Program, Australian National University, 13 December 2010
- CULTURAL AND TRADITIONAL PRACTICES, AND WOMEN'S STATUS IN THE PACIFIC, WOMEN, DEVELOPMENT AND EMPOWERMENT: A PACIFIC FEMINIST PERSPECTIVE, Victoria University of Wellington