Won't You Be My Neighbor? (film)
|Won't You Be My Neighbor?|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Morgan Neville|
|Music by||Jonathan Kirkscey|
|Distributed by||Focus Features|
Won't You Be My Neighbor? is a 2018 American documentary film about the life and guiding philosophy of Fred Rogers, the host and creator of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, directed by Morgan Neville. The trailer for the film debuted on what would have been Rogers's 90th birthday, March 20, 2018.
The film premiered at the 2018 Sundance Film Festival and was released in the United States on June 8, 2018. It received acclaim from critics and audiences and has grossed $22 million, making it the highest-grossing biographical documentary of all time.
It was nominated for numerous awards, won the Independent Spirit Award for Best Documentary Feature, and was chosen by Time magazine as one of its top ten films of 2018.
Filmmaker Morgan Neville examines the life and legacy of Fred Rogers, the beloved host of the popular children's television program Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.
- Joanne Rogers (Fred's widow)
- John Rogers (Fred's son)
- Jim Rogers (Fred's son)
- Elaine Rogers (Fred's sister)
- François Scarborough Clemmons
- Tom Junod
- Yo-Yo Ma
- Joe Negri
- David Newell
- Howard and Pam Erlanger (parents of Jeff Erlanger)
- Fred Rogers in archival recordings
- Koko in archival recordings
Won't You Be My Neighbor? was shown at many film festivals including on January 19, 2018, at the Sundance Film Festival, February 24, 2018, at the Boulder International Film Festival, March 2, 2018, at the True/False Film Festival, March 16, 2018, at the Miami Film Festival, and May 5, 2018, at the Montclair Film Festival. It had a limited release in US theaters on June 15, 2018. PBS aired the film on February 9, 2019, as part of the network's Independent Lens series.
In November 2018, Morgan revealed that the original title of the film was The Radical Mister Rogers, but after the election of Donald Trump, the term "radical" had a negative connotation according to Morgan.
Won't You Be My Neighbor? made $475,419 from 29 theaters in its first weekend, and $1 million from 96 theaters in its second. Expanding to 348 theaters the following week, it grossed $1.9 million, finishing tenth at the box office. It was added to an additional 306 theaters in its fourth weekend (for a total of 654) and made $2.5 million, again finishing 10th. It made $2.6 million the following weekend, becoming the highest-grossing documentary of 2018 in the process with $12.4 million.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 98% based on 230 reviews, and an average rating of 8.74/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "Won't You Be My Neighbor? takes a fittingly patient and honest look at the life and legacy of a television pioneer whose work has enriched generations." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 85 out of 100, based on 41 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".
Amy Nicholson of Variety wrote: "Neville's fantastic archival footage reveals the man through his work — or at least, it reveals his philosophies, if not the childhood memories that gave Rogers the ability to understand a four-year-old's brain, almost as if he still carried his in his cardigan pocket." David Edelstein of New York Magazine wrote: "A wonderful breather from reality, from which you come back more conscious of — and dismayed by — the hate that more than ever runs the world."
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Golden Trailer Awards||May 31, 2018||Best Documentary||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Won|||
|Critics' Choice Documentary Awards||November 10, 2018||Best Director||Morgan Neville||Won|||
|Best Documentary||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Won|
|Best Editing||Jeff Malmberg and Aaron Wickenden||Won|
|Most Innovative Documentary||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Nominated|
|Hollywood Music in Media Awards||November 14, 2018||Original Score – Documentary||Jonathan Kirkscey||Nominated|||
|Gotham Awards||November 26, 2018||Audience Award||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Won|||
|Best Documentary||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Nominated|
|IDA Documentary Awards||December 8, 2018||Best Feature||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Nominated|||
|National Board of Review||January 8, 2019||Top 5 Documentaries||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Won|||
|Cinema Eye Honors||January 10, 2019||Audience Choice Prize||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Nominated|||
|Outstanding Achievement in Editing||Jeff Malmberg and Aaron Wickenden||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement in Graphic Design or Animation||Ariel Costa and Rodrigo Miguel Rangel||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement in Nonfiction Feature Filmmaking||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Nominated|
|Producers Guild of America Awards||January 19, 2019||Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures||Morgan Neville, Nicholas Ma, and Caryn Capotosto||Won|||
|Directors Guild of America Awards||February 2, 2019||Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Documentaries||Morgan Neville||Nominated|||
|Satellite Awards||February 17, 2019||Best Documentary Film||Won't You Be My Neighbor?||Nominated|||
|Independent Spirit Awards||February 23, 2019||Best Documentary Feature||Morgan Neville, Caryn Capotosto and Nicholas Ma||Won|||
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, an upcoming biopic about Fred Rogers
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- Evans, Greg (March 20, 2018). "'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Trailer: Mister Rogers Reveals Guiding Force". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved March 26, 2018.
- Rothman, Michael (March 21, 2018). "'Won't You Be My Neighbor' trailer reveals 'radical' Mister Rogers". Good Morning America. ABC News. Retrieved March 26, 2018.
- Zacharek, Stephanie (November 15, 2018). "The Top 10 Movies of 2018". Time. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Mendelson, Scott (June 16, 2018). "Friday Box Office: 'Ocean's 8' Drops 62%, 'Hereditary' and 'Solo' Hold". Forbes. Retrieved June 17, 2018.
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor? (PBS Premiere)". PBS. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- "'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Director Changed Doc Title After Trump's Election". The Hollywood Reporter. November 10, 2018. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 17, 2018). "'Incredibles 2' Even Stronger as Pixar Pic Soars to Amazing $181M – Early Sunday Update". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (June 24, 2018). "'Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom' With $150M Reps Uni's 2nd Highest Opening Ever – Sunday". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved June 24, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 1, 2018). "At $2.5B to Date, Summer's B.O. Is More Colossal Than Ever Imagined; Dinos Still Rule with $60M+ Second Weekend". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (July 8, 2018). "'Ant-Man and the Wasp' Shrinks a Tick to $76M+ Opening, but Still 34% Bigger Than Original – Early Sunday Read". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- McClintock, Pamela (July 27, 2018). "Box-Office Milestone: 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Becomes Top-Grossing Biodoc". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 12, 2018). "August Audiences Get Hooked On 'Meg' Shelling Out $44.5M". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved July 23, 2019.
- "Won't You Be My Neighbor? Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- "'Black Panther', 'Roma', 'Won't You Be My Neighbor' Among Barack Obama's List Of Favorite Films Of 2018". Deadline. December 28, 2018. Retrieved December 28, 2018.
- "BEST DOCUMENTARY (GTA19/2018)". Golden Trailer Awards. Retrieved December 9, 2018.
- Lewis, Hilary (November 10, 2018). "Mr. Rogers Film 'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' Tops Critics' Choice Documentary Awards". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Xu, Linda (November 15, 2018). "Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Full List of Winners". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (November 26, 2018). "Gotham Awards: A24 Sweeps With Five Wins, Including 'First Reformed,' 'Eighth Grade' (Full Winners List)". Variety. Retrieved November 27, 2018.
- Sharf, Zach (October 18, 2018). "2018 Gotham Awards Nominations: 'The Favourite' and 'First Reformed' Lead the Pack". IndieWire. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Mandinach, Zach (October 18, 2018). "Nominations Announced for the 28th Annual IFP Gotham Awards". Independent Filmmaker Project. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Lewis, Hilary (October 24, 2018). "IDA Documentary Awards: Mister Rogers Doc 'Won't You Be My Neighbor' Among Best Feature Nominees". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- Lewis, Hilary (November 27, 2018). "'Green Book' Named Best Film by National Board of Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 28, 2018.
- Tapley, Kristopher (November 8, 2018). "Hulu's 'Minding the Gap' Ties Cinema Eye Honors All-Time Nominations Record". Variety. Retrieved November 24, 2018.
- "All Motion Picture and TV Nominations for 30th Annual Producers Guild Awards presented by Cadillac". Producers Guild of America. January 4, 2019. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- "DGA Announces Nominees for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Television, Commercials and Documentary for 2018". Directors Guild of America. January 7, 2019. Retrieved January 7, 2019.
- "2018 Awards Nominees". International Press Academy. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- "2019 Indie Spirit Awards Winners: Complete List". Variety. February 23, 2019. Retrieved February 24, 2019.