Wong Siew Te
|Wong Siew Te|
Wong Siew Te in May 2014.
|Born||16 May 1969|
Bukit Mertajam, Penang, Malaysia
|Known for||Research and rehabilitation of Helarctos malayanus|
|Institutions||National Pingtung University of Science and Technology|
University of Montana
Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre
Wong Siew Te was born in Bukit Mertajam, Penang on 16 May 1969 as the youngest son of the tailor Wong Soon Kew, who operated the business "Soon Kew Tailor" in Bukit Mertajam from the 1950s to the mid 1980s. He grew up with eight other siblings – four elder brothers and four elder sisters. From 1976 to 1982 he joined Kim Sen Primary School in Bukit Mertajam and from 1982 to 1987 the Jit Sin High School, also in Bukit Mertajam.
He continued his studies 1989 at Taiwan's National Pingtung University of Science and Technology and received his diploma in Animal Science & Veterinary in 1992.
In 1994, he studied Wildlife Biology at the University of Montana where he graduated as a Bachelor of Science in 1997. In 2002, he graduaded as a Master of Science with the thesis The ecology of Malayan sun bear in the lowland tropical rainforest of Sabah, Borneo.
From 2002 to 2005 he co-chaired the Sun Bear Expert Team for the IUCN/SSC Bear Specialist Group, a science-based network of voluntary experts within the International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources (IUCN).
From 2002 to 2011, he pursued his doctorate in Fish and Wildlife Biology at the University of Montana, and conducted his dissertation entitled The effects of selective logging on bearded pigs (Sus barbatus) in lowland tropical rainforest of Borneo.
In 2008, he founded the Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre (BSBCC) in Sepilok, a zoological centre for protection and conservation of the Malayan sun bear. Founded together with the organisation Land Empowerment Animals People (LEAP), the Sabah Wildlife Department (SWD) and the Sabah Forestry Department (SFD), it is a holistic approach to conserve the endangered species.
He was also a fellow of the Flying Elephants Foundation, which awards individuals from a broad range of disciplines within the arts and sciences.
In conjunction with the Penang State Governor 76th birthday in 2014, Wong Siew Te was conferred Darjah Johan Negeri (D.J.N.; Member- Order of the Defender of State) to recognize his contribution to the society and the environment. This Order was instituted in 1969 and conferred on individuals who have contributed outstanding services in any field. This award is limited to one thousand one hundred and fifty living persons, excluding non-Malaysians who may be conferred this award on an honorary basis.
In the same year, Wong also being awarded the 2014 Outstanding Alumni Award by National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung, Taiwan, for his outstanding achievement in wildlife conservation.
On September 2016, Wong received an Honorary Doctorate from University of Sunshine Coast, Australia, in recognition of his lifelong contribution on sun bear conservation in Southeast Asia.
Wong's recognitions continue in 2017 when he first was named a "Wira Negaraku" or “My Country Hero” by the Malaysian Prime Minister Office, Federal Government of Malaysia. On July 29, 2017, Wong was name a CNN Hero by global television network CNN.
- Veron G., M‐L Patou, R. Debruyne, A. Couloux, D. Antonette, P. Fernandez, Siew Te Wong, J. Fuchs, A. P. Jennings. 2014. Systematics of the Southeast Asian mongooses (Herpestidae, Carnivora): solving the mystery of the elusive collared mongoose and Palawan mongoose. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 01/2015.
- Veron, G., M. Willsch, V. Dacosta, M-L Patou, A. Seymour, C. Bonillo, A. Couloux, S.T. Wong, A.P. Jennings, J. Fickel, and A. Wilting: The distribution of the Malay civet Viverra tangalunga (Carnivora:Viverridae) across Southeast Asia: natural or human-mediated dispersal in: Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. 170: 917–932. [SCI], 2014
- Gitzen, R.A., J.L. Belant, J.J.Millspaugh, S.T. Wong, A.J. Hearn, J. Ross: Effective use of radiolelemetry for studying tropical carnivores. in: The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology: 28: 67–83. 2014
- Hanya, G., Stevenson, P., Noordwijk, M.v., Wong, S.T., Kanamori, T., Kuze, N., Aiba. S., Chapman, C., van Schaik, C.: Seasonality in fruit availability affects primate biomass and species richness. in: Ecography. 34: 1009–1017. [SCI], 2011
- Chen, C.C, Pei, K.J.C., Kuo, M.D., Yang, C.M., Wong, S.T., Lin, F.G., & Kuo, S.C.: A possible case of hantavirus infection in Borneo orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus pygmaeus) and its conservation implication. in: Journal of Medical Primatology. 40(1): 2–5. [SCI], 2010
- Fredriksson, G., Steinmetz, R., Wong, S.T. & Garshelis, D.L.: Helarctos malayanus. in: IUCN 2009. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2009.1.
- Wong, S.T. 2006: The status of Malayan sun bear in Malaysia, S. 66–72 in: Japan Bear Network (compiler). 2006. Understanding Asian bears to secure their future, Japan Bear Network, Ibakari, Japan 145 pp., 2006
- Wong, S.T., C. Servheen, L. Ambu, and Norhayati A.: Impacts of fruit production cycle Malayan sun bears and bearded pigs in lowland tropical forests of Sabah, Malaysian Borneo. in: Journal of Tropical Ecology. 21:627–639. [SCI], 2005
- Norhayati, A., I Mila, L., Juliana, S., Wong, S.T. & Shukor, M.N.: Amphibian fauna of Danum Valley Conservation Area. in: Laily B. Din, Muhammad Yahya, Norhayati, A., Nizam, M.S., Waidi Sinun & A. Latiff (eds.): Danum Valley Conservation Area: Physical, Biological and Social Environments., Yayasan Sabah and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi. p. 281–298.
- Norhayati, A., Wong, S.T., Juliana, S. & Shukor, M.N.: An annotated checklist of reptiles in Danum Valley Conservation Area. in: Laily B. Din, Muhammad Yahya, Norhayati, A., Nizam, M.S., Waidi Sinun & A. Latiff (eds.): Danum Valley Conservation Area: Physical, Biological and Social Environments. Yayasan Sabah and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi. p. 299–312, 2005
- Wong, S. T., Servheen, C. & Ambu, L.: Home range, movement and activity patterns, and bedding sites of Malayan Sun Bears Helarctos malayanus in the Rainforest of Borneo. in: Biological Conservation. 119:169–181. [SCI], 2004
- Wong, S.T., C. Servheen, and L. Ambu: Food habits of Malayan sun bears in lowland tropical forest of Borneo. in: Ursus. 13:127–136. [SCI], 2002
- Lin, Y.R., S.T. Wong, C. J. Pei.: Variations in skull morphology of Formosan Reeve's muntjac in Little Ghost Lake Forest Reserve, Pingtung, Taiwan. in: Notes of Wildlifers and Newsletter of Wildlifers (NOW). 1(4): 8–11. (in Chinese), 1993
- Sorenson, J.: Interview with Siew Te Wong. The Brock Review. 12(1): 182–186., 2011
- Wong, S. T.: Bornean Sun Bear Conservation Centre in Malaysia Borneo. in: International Bear News. 19(1):18–19, 2010.
- Wong, S. T.: Sun Bear: The Forgotten Bear. in: Society & Environment. A monthly magazine published by Zayed International Prize for the Environment. July 2009: 40–42.
- The Emerging Wildlife Conservation Leaders, Wong S.T. & Gabriella Fredriksson. in: Sun Bear Adventure Journals. EWCL. 34 pp., 2006
- Wong, S.T. & C. Servheen: The Bornean Sun Bear and Bearded Pig Research and Conservation Project- a new field project to study the effects of selective logging on Malayan sun bears and bearded pigs in Borneo. in: International Bear News. 14(4):24, 2005
- Wong, S.T. & C. Servheen: New field project to study the effects of selective logging on bearded pigs and sun bears in Borneo. in: Suiform Soundings. Peccaries, Pigs, and Hippos Specialists Group Newsletter. 5(1):30, 2005.
- Wong, S.T.: Dances with sun bears. in: Malayan Naturalist. 56(3): 20–25., 2003.
- Wong, S.T.: Sun bear research on the web. in: International Bear News. 12(2):9., 2003.
- Wong, S. T. and C. Servheen: Malaysia Malayan Sun bear Ecology. in: International Bear News. 8(3):11–12., 1999.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wong Siew Te.|
- Wong Siew Te: Siew Te Wong's sun bear journal
- wildlifedirect.org: About Siew Te Wong
- mesym.com: Wong Siew Te, on Conserving Sun Bears in Borneo
- BSBCC: ABOUT SIEW TE WONG, founder & chief executive of BSBCC; accessed 11 June 2014
- Siew Te, Wong in: sunbears.wildlifedirect.org: My Curriculum Vitae; accessed 11 June 2014
- MESYM: Wong Siew Te, on Conserving Sun Bears in Borneo; accessed 11 June 2014
- The Star: Sun bears: At home in the forest, 5 May 2014; accessed 11 June 2014
- Wildlifedirect: Wildlife Heroes: 40 Leading Conservationists and the Animals They Are Committed to Saving; accessed 12 June 2014
- Julie Scardina, Jeff Flocken: Wildlife Heroes, Running Press, 2012; ISBN 0762443197
- The Star: The Penang Yang di-Pertuan Negeri's Birthday Honour List 2014, 2014; accessed 12 October 2015