Sabda Sakti Nugrahaning Praja ((in Javanese): The Holy Word of Sacrifice)
Location of Wonogiri Regency in Central Java
|Founded||May 19, 1741|
|• Regent||Joko Sutopo|
|• Vice-Regent||Edy Santosa, S.H.|
|• Total||1,822.37 km2 (703.62 sq mi)|
|• Water||567.2 km2 (219.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||140 m (460 ft)|
|• Density||520/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Wonogiren, Wonogirian, Bocah Wonogiri|
|• Ethnic groups||Javanese, Chinese, European|
|• Religion||Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism and traditional Javanese beliefs (in Purwantoro)|
|• Languages||Indonesian, Javanese, Dutch|
|Time zone||UTC+7 (WIB)|
|Area code(s)||+62 273|
Wonogiri is a regency (kabupaten) in the southeastern part of Central Java province in Indonesia. It covers an area of 1,822.37 km2, and its population according to the latest (January 2014) estimate is 940,297, which is the 5th largest district in Central Java, as well as the largest regency in the former Surakarta Residency, and the largest regency that does not have the railway line in Central Java, and the 15th most populated district in Central Java, and the second largest in the former Surakarta Residency after Boyolali.
On the southern coast of Wonogiri Regency there are many islands in the Indian Ocean, namely the island of Gosong (population: 1,420 (2005)) owned by the Gunung Kidul Regency Government of the Republic of Indonesia, Bervet island owned by the Kingdom of Norway, and islands and other islands owned by Australia, United States, New Zealand, Norway, and Great Britain, the islands, atolls, and these islands enters Southeast Asia (or sometimes enters Oceania).
Capital and largest city
Wonogiri Regency is an area of agriculture and plantation, so most of people in Wonogiri work as farmers. Generally, all areas of the regency produce much agriculture and plantation output. Casava, cacao, kacang mede are examples of the plantation output that are relatively good. Wonogiri also has many special foods. They include nasi tiwul, emping, bakso, mie ayam, gudangan, etc.
Most of Wonogiri's area is rocky and hilly due to its location on the Sewu highlands. Since these highlands are of the karst type, many caves can easily be found in Wonogiri Regency and at least 41 caves have been discovered so far starting with the famous Song Gilap cave, Song Putri cave at Pracimantoro, Ngantap cave, Putri Kencana cave at Giritontro and including many unnamed caves all over the regency.
Wonogiri also has a dam called Gajah Mungkur Dam which has three main functions; as a power plant to produce electricity; to provide water for rice fields around Bengawan Solo River through irrigation programs; and for tourism.
Items of tourist interest include:
- Gajah Mungkur Dam (Waduk Gajah Mungkur)
- Sembukan beach at Paranggupito district
- Nampu beach at Paranggupito district
- Kahyangan waterfall at Tirtomoyo district
- Kethu forest at Wonogiri district
- Putri Kencana cave at Pracimantoro district
- Girimanik waterfall at Slogohimo district
- Nggaguk Tirta Lestari swimming pool, cafe, restaurant at Jatisrono district
- Seper forest at Jatipurno
- Paragliding (Indonesian: Gantole) sport nearby Gajah Mungkur dam
- Off-Roading nearby Gajah Mungkur dam
- Plinteng Semar Miracle Stone at Wonogiri district
- Gunung Kembar Gandul a small mountain at Wonogiri district
- Gunung Pegat Small Mountain at Ngadirojo, Nguntoronadi district
- Gunung Kencur Small Mountain at Ngadirojo, Nguntoronadi district
- "Geografi", Wonogirikab.go.id, accessed Oktober 2011
- Biro Pusat Statistik, Jakarta, 2011.
- in addition Wonogiri popular with their Jamu (traditional Medicine) such as Air Mancur, which is located near terminal of bus in Wonokarto, Wonogiri.beside those in recent year *2017, The special product of fruit is melon, it is very popular and developed by the Wonogiri government "Kembangkan Pariwisata, Disbudparpora Gandeng ASITA", Solo Pos, accessed Oktober 2011