Wood Dale, Illinois
Wood Dale, IL
|City of Wood Dale|
Working Together to Make Life Better
Location of Wood Dale in DuPage County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Mayor||Nunzio Pulice|
|• Total||4.84 sq mi (12.54 km2)|
|• Land||4.73 sq mi (12.24 km2)|
|• Water||0.11 sq mi (0.29 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,922.15/sq mi (1,128.23/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Wood Dale was originally known as Lester's Station, after John Lester, an early settler.
According to the 2010 census, Wood Dale has a total area of 4.834 square miles (12.52 km2), of which 4.72 square miles (12.22 km2) (or 97.64%) is land and 0.114 square miles (0.30 km2) (or 2.36%) is water. Wood Dale shares borders with Elk Grove Village (on the north), Bensenville (east), Addison (south, southwest) and Itasca (west.)
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,535 people, 5,117 households, and 3,663 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,897.8 people per square mile (1,119.0/km²). There were 5,220 housing units at an average density of 1,117.6 per square mile (431.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.22 percent White, 0.58 percent African American, 0.15 percent Native American, 3.24 percent Asian, 0.07 percent Pacific Islander, 4.80 percent from other races, and 1.94 percent from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 13.06 percent of the population.
There were 5,117 households out of which 29.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.9% were married couples living together, 8.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.4% were non-families. 23.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 3.15.
Wood Dale has two primary schools, Oakbrook Elementary School(k-2)  and Westview Elementary School(3-5) , and one middle school, Wood Dale Junior High School(6-8) as well as Holy Ghost. Wood Dale shares Fenton High School  with Bensenville.
The city's population was spread out with 22.4 percent under the age of 18, 7.6 percent from 18 to 24, 29.4 percent from 25 to 44, 26.5 percent from 45 to 64, and 14.1 percent who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.6 males.
The top 5 employing industry sectors in Wood Dale are manufacturing (13.6%), retail trade (11.0%), health care (9.7%), wholesale trade (5.4%) and administration (8.4%). A plurality of the workforce commutes from Chicago, followed by Wood Dale itself, Elk Grove Village and Bensenville. The top 5 employing industry sectors of community residents are wholesale trade (20.3%), manufacturing (18%), manufacturing (11.3%), administration (10.6%) and healthcare (7.5%). The median income for a household in the city was $57,509, and the median income for a family was $62,289. Males had a median income of $45,884 versus $35,247 for females. The per capita income for the city was $25,507. About 2.9% of families and 4.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.9% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 or over. At one time Claire's had a distribution facility in Wood Dale. That function is now handled by its Hoffman Estates office.
According to Wood Dale's 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|4||Tempco Electric Heater||416|
|6||C. H. Robinson||388|
|7||NEP Electronics, Inc.||304|
|10||OPTO International, Inc.||162|
Wood Dale has a station on Metra's Milwaukee District/West Line, which provides daily rail service between Elgin, Illinois and Chicago, Illinois (at Union Station). Illinois Route 390 is in the city's corporate limits near the northern border of the city and has an exit to Wood Dale Road.
- Colin Brady, American animator and film director, raised in Wood Dale.
- Henry Hyde, Republican member of the United States House of Representatives from 1975-2007, resided in Wood Dale.
- Natalie Jaresko, Ukraine's Minister of Finance (2014–2016); raised in Wood Dale.
- Monica Pedersen, Chicago designer for HGTV shows Designed to Sell and Dream Home.
- James "Pate" Philip, President of the Illinois Senate (1993-2003); resides in Wood Dale.
- Ray Soden, Illinois state senator; lived in Wood Dale.
- Jim Spivey, retired American middle-distance runner and three time Olympian, raised in Wood Dale.
- Christine Winger, Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives (2015–2019). She served as a member of the Wood Dale City Council prior to serving as State Representative.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jun 30, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "Several Towns Named After Founders and Heroes". The Daily Herald. December 28, 1999. p. 220. Retrieved August 17, 2014 – via Newspapers.com.
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-12-27.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Community Demographic Snapshot: Wood Dale" (PDF). Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning. June 1, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2017.
- Mann, Leslie. "Hot Stuff." Chicago Tribune. December 14, 1997. Retrieved on December 24, 2011.
- Jamie Sotonoff and Dann Gire (2012-01-31). "Wood Dale native's animation dreams take flight in 'Hugo'". Daily Herald. Retrieved 2015-09-08.
- Heitz, David (2007-11-29). "Former U.S. Rep. Henry Hyde dies". Taunton Daily Gazette. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- Forrest, Brett (2015-03-05). "The American Woman Who Stands Between Putin and Ukraine". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- Sotonoff, Jamie; Gire, Dann (September 14, 2011). "Tool belt unlocked HGTV career for Wood Dale native". Daily Herald. Retrieved May 7, 2017.
- "An Interview with James 'Pate' Philip & Carter Hendren" (PDF). Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. 2012-07-11. Retrieved 2015-09-08.
- 'Illinois Blue Book 2003-2004, Biographical Sketch of Ray R. Soden, pg. 91
- "Bally Invitational Facts". Chicago Tribune. 1985-01-27. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Representative Christine Winger (R) - 45th District". Illinois General Assembly. 2015-01-15. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wood Dale, Illinois.|