Woodbridge High School (Virginia)
|Woodbridge Senior High School|
|3001 Old Bridge Road
Woodbridge, Virginia 22192
|School type||Public, high school|
|School district||Prince William County Public Schools|
|School number||(703) 497-8000|
|Average class size||English: 26
Social Studies: 22
|Hours in school day||6 hours 30 minutes|
|Color(s)||Green And Gold|
Advanced Placement ScholarsProject Lead The Way
The school was founded in 1964 in the Marumsco Hills Subdivision due to extensive development of the Woodbridge community by Cecil D. Hylton. Classes were originally held at 2201 York Drive (now Woodbridge Middle School). Classes moved to the current building (3001 Old Bridge Road) in 1974. The first class to graduate having attended the full four years at the current building was the class of 1978.
Woodbridge Senior High School is located at Gar-Field High School, which was also built in the mid-1970s.(38.682187, -77.302150). Woodbridge High School is of similar design as nearby
Homecoming is an honored tradition at Woodbridge and "Spirit Week" is part of the Homecoming celebration. Each of the five days has a different theme. The themes for "Spirit Week" are chosen by the Student Activities Leadership Council. On Friday of "Spirit Week", the Pep Rally is held in the football stadium allowing all the students and faculty to watch or participate. The Homecoming Parade is later held that afternoon, usually going down Antietam Road to the school. The Homecoming Parade floats made by clubs/organizations from the school. Later that Friday evening, the Homecoming Game is held at the WSHS football field and the Homecoming rock and banner winners are announced, as well as the Homecoming King and Queen. The Homecoming Court is announced usually during Spirit Week, before the Friday of Spirit Week. On the Saturday of Spirit Week, the Homecoming Dance is held at night.
- Tony Lilly NFL Football (Denver Broncos)
- Russell Davis NFL Football (Pittsburgh Steelers)
- Christopher R. DeCou, Jens Peder Hart Hansen Fellow of the International Union for Circumpolar Health, Distinguished Student Researcher of the Society for Clinical Psychology (APA Division 12), and recipient of the Outstanding Student Achievement Award from the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Matt Lehr NFL Football
- R. Alan King '81 - Military Veteran (Panama and Iraq) and author of Twice Armed: An American Soldiers Battle for Hearts and Minds in Iraq - Winner of 2008 William E. Colby Award
- Kris McCray MMA Fighter
- John Driscoll Actor, Guiding Light, and The Young and the Restless
- Da'Shawn Hand #1 Football prospect in the Nation. (University of Alabama)
- Joey Cook Contestant of American Idol XIV
The following information was provided by PWCS.edu's School Data Profiles found on their website.
In the 2011-2012 school year, Woodbridge High's student body was:
- 36.7% White
- 28.1% Hispanic of any race
- 20.6% Black/African American
- 8.6% Two or More Races
- 5.4% Asian
- 0.4% American Indian/Alaskan
- 0.2% Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
- Official Website
- Prince William County Public Schools
- Woodbridge High School Profile
- Woodbridge High School Data
- "America's Top Public High Schools 2008". Newsweek.
- Williams, Preston; Williams, Preston (2003-09-07). "Healthy Feet Help Vikings Kick the Habit vs. Potomac". The Washington Post. ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "International Union for Circumpolar Health | Awards". iuch.net. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Department News | Idaho State University". www.isu.edu. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
"Jens Peder Hart Hansen Memorial Fund". Retrieved 5 September 2013.