This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, grunge|
|Labels||Zunior, Sonic Unyon|
|Associated acts||Julie Doiron, Snailhouse, By Divine Right|
Wooden Stars are a Canadian indie rock band formed in 1994. The band, from Ottawa, consists of vocalist and guitarist Julien Beillard, guitarist Michael Feuerstack, bassists Josh Latour and Mathieu Beillard, and drummer Andrew McCormack.
In 1999, the Wooden Stars collaborated with singer-songwriter Julie Doiron on the album Julie Doiron and the Wooden Stars, which won a Juno Award for Best Alternative Album. Following that album, the band members concentrated on other projects, although the group never formally disbanded.
In 2004, they reunited to perform at the 40th birthday party of their longtime producer Dave Draves. In early 2005, the band played several reunion shows in Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton, and rereleased their old material on Zunior Records. They released People Are Different, their first album in seven years, on Sonic Unyon in 2007.
In addition to the Wooden Stars, various band members have played with, or appeared with a variety of bands in Central Canada. Mike Feuerstack fronts his own band Snailhouse, played with long running Ottawa outfit Kepler, performs with Angela Desveaux, and appears on recent recordings by Bell Orchestre and Islands. Andrew McCormack played in CLARK the band of Ottawa.
In 2013, Invisible Publishing published Wooden Stars: Innocent Gears, a book about the band by author Malcolm Fraser. In 2014 the band appeared on the main stage at the Peterborough Folk Festival.
- Wooden Stars (7-inch) (1994)
- The Very Same (1995)
- Mardi Gras (1997)
- Rise Up & Get Down (1998)
- The Moon (1999)
- Julie Doiron and the Wooden Stars (1999)
- People Are Different (2007)
- Barclay, Michael; Schneider, Jason; Jack, Ian. Have Not Been the Same: The CanRock Renaissance, 1985-1995. ECW Press, 2011
- "Music: Wooden Stars: People Are Different". Spun.com. 2007-05-08. Archived from the original on 2016-01-12. Retrieved 2014-06-29.
-  Archived July 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Wooden Stars". Invisible Publishing. 2013-10-21. Archived from the original on 2014-07-16. Retrieved 2014-06-29.