Woodland Park Hospital
|Woodland Park Hospital|
Entrance to now Vibra Hospital
|Location||Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, United States|
|Lists||Hospitals in Oregon|
Woodland Park Hospital was a medical facility in Portland, Oregon, United States. Opened in 1962, the for profit hospital was known for its cosmetic surgery. Towards the end of its run the facility received national scrutiny over the handling of patients when the hospital was forced to call 911 for a medical emergency, and the hospital then closed in 2006.
Woodland Park opened in 1962 and was owned by doctors at that time. During the 1970s the medical facility added a large psychiatric ward. In 2002 the hospital was purchased by Symphony Healthcare along with Eastmoreland Hospital. Both hospitals then closed two years later. Then in 2005 Woodland Park re-opened under local ownership as Physicians’ Hospital after receiving some financing from the Portland Development Commission.
In July 2005 the hospital itself was forced to call 9-1-1 when no doctors were on staff and a medical emergency occurred. The patient was then transferred to another hospital where she died. This incident would help lead to the hospital losing Medicare certification. Within a year other problems with patient care would lead to the facility closing on May 26, 2006. At closing, the hospital was licensed by the state to operate 200 hospital beds, but was only operating around 40. In August 2006 the property was bought by Medical Properties Trust Inc. for $17.8 million with plans for Vibra Healthcare to operate a long-term acute care medical facility at the site after renovations.
- Portland. City Insider. Retrieved on March 26, 2007.
- Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2006. United States Senate Committee on Finance. Retrieved on March 26, 2007.
- Moody, Robin J. Physicians' Hospital opens at former Woodland Park. Portland Business Journal, December 23, 2004.
- Ashton, David. Last rites given to Physician's Hospital. East PDX News, June 19, 2006. Retrieved on March 26, 2007.
- Moody, Robin J. Troubled Physicians' Hospital sold to investment firm. Portland Business Journal, August 25, 2006.
- Willamette Week
- One hospital closes, others travel expansion route - Portland Business Journal