Woodlands North MRT station
|Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) station|
Platform level of Woodlands North station
|Location||20 Woodlands North Coast Road|
|Owned by||Land Transport Authority|
|Operated by||SMRT Trains Ltd (SMRT Corporation)|
|Line(s)||Thomson–East Coast line|
|Platforms||2 (1 island platform)|
|Parking||Yes (Republic Polytechnic)|
|Opened||31 January 2020|
|Previous names||Republic Crescent, Admiralty Park|
Woodlands North MRT station (TE1) is an underground Mass Rapid Transit terminal station in Woodlands, Singapore, located near Republic Polytechnic. The station is the northern terminal of the Thomson–East Coast line (TEL), and is the joint northernmost MRT station in Singapore. It is located in a developing region in Woodlands North at Woodlands North Coast Road, off Admiralty Road West as part of the North Coast Innovation Corridor project that is planned for the future. This station is one of the few MRT stations which is not located beside a road median, with the other two being Mattar MRT station on the Downtown line and Hougang MRT station on the North East line.
A planned Johor Bahru-Singapore RTS which will interchange with this station was postponed on 21 May 2019 due to financial implications on Malaysia's side. On 31 October that year, Malaysia agreed to resume the RTS project at a lower cost although the project is still suspended until 30 April 2020. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it was agreed that the project be suspended further, until 31 July 2020.
This station was first announced on 29 August 2012 by then Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew. Before the station was built, the working names were 'Woodlands North', 'Republic Polytechnic' and 'Admiralty Park'. On 27 June 2014, Woodlands North was officially chosen following a public poll in May 2013.
On 15 August 2014, LTA announced that Woodlands North station would be part of the proposed Thomson East-Coast line (TEL). The station will be constructed as part of Phase 1, consisting of 3 stations between Woodlands North and Woodlands South, and is expected to be completed in 2019.
The Contract T202 for the design and construction of Woodlands North Station and associated tunnels was awarded to Penta-Ocean Construction Co Ltd at a sum of S$337 million on November 2013. Construction will start in 2014, with completion in 2020.
Exits include the back gate of the Republic Polytechnic and Woodlands North Coast Road.
- "LTA | News Room | News Releases | Public Poll for Thomson Line Station Names". www.lta.gov.sg. Archived from the original on 2020-04-25. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "LTA | News Room | News Releases | Thomson Line Station Names Finalised". www.lta.gov.sg. Archived from the original on 2020-01-06. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "TSL System Map & Station Footprints (Woodlands North station)". 29 August 2012. Archived from the original on 6 January 2020.
- Yusof, Amir (2019-05-21). "Singapore agrees to suspend construction of RTS Link at Malaysia's request". CNA. Archived from the original on 2020-01-06. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "Malaysia continues RTS project with a new cost of RM3.16b". The Edge Markets. 2019-10-31. Archived from the original on 2019-11-05. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "JB-Singapore RTS Link to go ahead but further suspended to April 2020: Khaw". CNA. 4 November 2019. Archived from the original on 7 January 2020. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- "JB-Singapore RTS Link project suspended for another 3 months until Jul 31 amid COVID-19 outbreak". CNA. Retrieved 2020-05-06.
- "Speech by Mr Lui Tuck Yew, Minister for Transport, at the Inspection of Downtown Line 1 Station and Announcement of Thomson Line alignment, 29 August 2012, 10.00am at Telok Ayer Station". Ministry of Transport. Ministry of Transport. 29 August 2012. Archived from the original on 8 September 2012. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Thomson Line Station Names Finalised". www.lta.gov.sg. 2014-06-27. Archived from the original on 2020-01-06. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- "Joint News Release by the Land Transport Authority & Singapore Land Authority - Thomson-East Coast Line: New MRT Links in the East | Press Room | Land Transport Authority". www.lta.gov.sg. 2014-08-19. Archived from the original on 2014-08-19. Retrieved 2020-02-13.
- "LTA | Upcoming Projects | Rail Expansion | Thomson-East Coast Line". web.archive.org. 2020-02-13. Retrieved 2020-02-13.
- "LTA Awards Four Contracts for Thomson Line". www.lta.gov.sg. 18 October 2013. Archived from the original on 7 January 2020. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- "Public Preview of Thomson-East Coast Line 1 Stations on 11 January (TEL1 will officially open for passenger service on 31 January 2020)". www.lta.gov.sg. 2019-12-11. Archived from the original on 2020-10-06. Retrieved 2020-01-06.
- Wong, Kai Yi (31 January 2020). "3 stations on Thomson-East Coast Line begin operations". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 5 February 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woodlands North MRT Station.|
|This Singapore MRT-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|