Woodlawn Cemetery (Elmira, New York)
Woodlawn Cemetery and Woodlawn National Cemetery
Historic Davis Street gate to Woodlawn Cemetery
|Location||Elmira, New York|
|Architect||Pierce and Bickford; et al.|
|Architectural style||No Style Listed|
|NRHP Reference #|||
|Added to NRHP||October 06, 2004|
- This article refers to the Woodlawn Cemetery in the Elmira, New York. For other uses, see Woodlawn Cemetery (disambiguation).
Woodlawn Cemetery is the name of a cemetery in Elmira, New York, United States. The most famous person buried in it is Mark Twain. Many members of the United States Congress, including Jacob Sloat Fassett are also interred there.
Within Woodlawn Cemetery is the distinct Woodlawn National Cemetery, begun with the interment of Confederate prisoners from the nearby Elmira Prison (dubbed "Hellmira" by its inmates) during the American Civil War. It is run by the United States Veterans Administration.
- Mark Twain author
- Ernie Davis Heisman Trophy winner from Syracuse University
- Hal Roach comedy film & television producer
- John W. Jones ex-slave and sexton of Woodlawn National Cemetery
- Jacob Sloat Fassett Congressman
- Lucius Robinson, Governor of New York
- John Arnot, Jr. Congressman, Mayor, Civil War Veteran, Businessman
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Virginia L. Bartos (August 1982). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination:Woodlawn Cemetery and Woodlawn National Cemetery". Retrieved 2008-09-09. and Accompanying 10 photos, from 2004
|This article about a historic property or district in Chemung County, New York, that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Chemung County, New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|