|Member of the Michigan House of Representatives
from the 34th district
January 1, 2009 – December 31, 2014
|Preceded by||Brenda Clack|
|Succeeded by||Sheldon Neeley|
|Chairman of the Genessee County Board of Commissioners|
|Member of the
Genesee County Board of Commissioners
from the 2nd district
|Succeeded by||Brenda Clack|
|89th Mayor of the City of Flint|
1991 – March 5, 2002
|Preceded by||Matthew S. Collier|
|Succeeded by||Darnell Earley, temporary (City Administrator)
James W. Rutherford(August 6, 2002)
Both with Edward J. Kurtz, Emergency Financial Manager
|Constituency||City of Flint|
|Constituency||City of Flint 2nd Ward|
|Relations||Grandchildren: Carmia, John III, Sasha|
|Alma mater||Mott Community College
University of Michigan-Flint
Stanley attended and graduated from Mott Community College. He then attended University of Michigan-Flint earning a bachelor's degree in political science. At University of Michigan-Flint, he has done additional course work towards a Masters of Public Administration.
In 1983, Stanley was appointed to the Flint City Council representing the 2nd ward being reelected until his election to the office of Mayor of the City of Flint defeating the incubment Matthew S. Collier. Stanley was elected to three terms as Mayor defeating (in order) future mayor Don Williamson (1995) and City Councilor Scott Kincaid (1999). He was recalled in 2002 due to the city's shaky financial condition and a state appointed Financial Manager was appointed after he left office. In 2004, Stanley was elected to the Genesee County Board of Commissioners, 2nd District. In his second term as Commissioner, Stanley was selected to be chairman of the Board of Commissioners. In November 2008, Stanley was elected to the Michigan House of Representatives from the 34th District.
- Mayoral Elections Results
- State Representative Election Results
|2008||26,867||4,973||Adam Ford (R) |
|2010||13,379||2,711||Bruce Rogers (R)|
Matthew S. Collier
|Mayor of Flint
Darnell Earley, temporary (City Administrator)
- "DISTRICT 2". Genesee County Website. Flint, Michigan: Genesee County. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Raymer, Marjory (2007-08-09). "Two white candidates make history". Flint Journal. Flint, Michigan: Booth Newspapers. Retrieved 2009-01-06.
- Fonger, Ron (2008-12-16). "Woodrow Stanley, headed for state House, thanks county commission for giving his political career new life". Flint Journal. Flint, Michigan: Booth Newspapers.
- Fonger, Ron (2008-01-03). "Woodrow Stanley heads county board". Flint Journal. Flint, Michigan: Booth Newspapers. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Genesee County Election Commission (2008-11-17). "SUMMARY REPORT GENERAL ELECTION OFFICIAL RESULTS" (PDF). Genesee County. p. 2. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- Raymer, Marjory (2007-08-09). "Two white candidates make history". The Flint Journal. Booth Newspapers. Retrieved 30 March 2009.
- "November 2008 general election results for contested races in Flint Journal coverage area". The Flint Journal. November 5, 2008. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- Raymer, Marjory (November 3, 2010). "Genesee County election results at a glance". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 14 April 2011.