Voorhis Ecological Reserve
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Eriophyllum, commonly known as the woolly sunflower, is a North American genus of plants in the sunflower family. The genus is native to western North America (USA, Canada, northwestern Mexico), with a concentration of narrow endemics in California.
Eriophyllum is an annual or perennial shrub or subshrub, some species growing to a height of 200 cm (6.7 feet). Leaves present generally alternate and entire to nearly compound, with woolly hairs on some of the species. The inflorescence contains numerous yellow flower heads in flat-topped clusters. The involucre structure is obconic to hemispheric. Phyllaries are either free or more or less fused; the receptacle presents typically flat, but naked. The ray flowers are present in some species but not in others. Fruits are angled in the outer flowers, but are generally club-shaped for the inner flowers; the pappus is somewhat jagged.
- Selected species
- Eriophyllum ambiguum (A.Gray) A.Gray - California, Arizona, Nevada
- Eriophyllum confertiflorum (DC.) A.Gray - California, Mexico
- Eriophyllum congdonii - California
- Eriophyllum jepsonii - California
- Eriophyllum lanatum (Pursh) J.Forbes - British Columbia, western USA
- Eriophyllum lanosum (A.Gray) A.Gray - Baja California, southwestern USA
- Eriophyllum latilobum - California
- Eriophyllum mohavense (I.M.Johnst.) Jeps. - California
- Eriophyllum multicaule (DC.) A.Gray - California, Arizona
- Eriophyllum nubigenum Greene ex A.Gray - California
- Eriophyllum pringlei A.Gray - Baja California, California, Arizona, Nevada
- Eriophyllum staechadifolium Lag. - California, Oregon
- Eriophyllum wallacei (A.Gray) A.Gray - Baja California, southwestern USA
- lectotype designated by Constance, Univ. Calif. Publ. Bot. 18: 69. 2 Apr 1937.
- Flann, C (ed) 2009+ Global Compositae Checklist
- Lagasca y Segura, Mariano. 1816. Genera et species plantarum 28
- Tropicos, Eriophyllum Lag.
- Biota of North America Program 2013 county distribution maps
- Mooring, Madroño 38:213–226, (1991)
- Flora of North America Eriophyllum Lagasca
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to
|This Heliantheae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|