Woonsocket station in February 2016
|Location||1 Depot Square|
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
|Line(s)||Providence and Worcester Railroad|
Woonsocket station is a former railroad station located at Depot Square in downtown Woonsocket, Rhode Island. It was built by the Providence and Worcester Railroad in 1882 to replace a previous station built in 1847.
Renovation and proposed return of rail service
The building was renovated by William (Bill) Dogan and was the headquarters for Develco a (now defunct) real estate development company during the 1970s who was responsible for building Lincoln Mall and the Marquette building in Woonsocket, R.I.
The building serves as the headquarters for the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor. The Blackstone Valley Tourism Council organizes a Polar Express excursion each year which operates from Woonsocket Depot.
In February 2016, the Rhode Island Department of Transportation leased the depot to the Boston Surface Railroad (BSR) to be used by the company as a hub for commuter service between Providence, Rhode Island and Worcester, Massachusetts.  Later, the depot was designated as the headquarters for the BSR. The BSR plans to build a platform on the western side of the station for high boarding.  The company also announced that the Polar Express excursion trains will continue after the BSR begins service. The Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor will be relocating from the depot to a mill in Whitinsville, Massachusetts.
- Clem, Lauren (October 10, 2018). "Woonsocket-Providence passenger rail on track for spring 2020". Valley Breeze. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "Woonsocket, Rhode Island: Statue of Hachiko, Faithful Dog". Roadside America. 2 June 2012. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- "The Polar Express Train Ride". Blackstone Valley Tourism Council USA. Retrieved 3 March 2016.
- Olivo, Russ (2 February 2016). "State to lease Depot Square to company proposing commuter rail". The Call. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- Seoane, Sandy (April 20, 2016). "Woonsocket on track for new train service". The Valley Breeze. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Woonsocket station.|
|This article about a building or structure in Rhode Island is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|