St Mary's Church
|Wootton shown within Bedfordshire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Bedfordshire and Luton|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Wootton is a large village and civil parish located to the south-west of Bedford, in the north of Bedfordshire, England. The parish also includes the hamlets of Hall End, Keeley Green and Wootton Green.
Wootton has had a long association with brickmaking, but is now mainly a dormitory community for Bedford and Milton Keynes. In the 18th century church bells were made here for several churches in Bedfordshire and adjoining counties. There has been a great deal of residential development over the last 30 years but some attractive old timber-framed houses still survive. The Church of St Mary the Virgin in the village is mainly 14th century but contains two fine monuments in the chancel to members of the Monoux family who died in 1685 and 1707. To the west of the church is Wootton House, an impressive late 17th-century house with a contemporary, red brick stable block.
The Domesday Book of 1086, listed Wootton as having 26 residents (20 villagers and six slaves) across ten hides. By 1901, the population had risen to 1,252. The population remained fairly steady throughout the first half of the 20th century. But by 1971, the population had climbed to 2,386, a 35.61% (1010 residents) increase within ten years. By 2001 that figure was 4,230.
According to the 2011 Census, the area covered by Wootton civil parish had 4,156 residents who lived in 1,654 households. The median age of the population is 44. Of these residents, 83% describe their health as "good" or "very good" and 2.6% of economically active people aged 16–74 were unemployed.
Wootton is currently expanding in size.
Housing plans include:
- More than 1000 new houses on fields situated next to the A421 road.
- Possible plans to build another 1000 houses on fields located on the road between the village and Kempston.
- A middle school, and an extension to Wootton Lower School for year 3 & 4 (which is currently under construction to be ready for the start of the 2015/16 academic year)
- Larger Doctors Surgery
- 3 Small Supermarkets (Tesco Express)
- Estate Agency (To be in the heart of the village)
- Coffee Shop
- Wine Bar
- Car Dealership
- Office spaces
Sport and leisure
Wootton has a Non-League football team Wootton Blue Cross F.C.. For the 2014–15 season, they are members of the Bedfordshire County Football League Premier Division. Wootton Blue Cross play at Weston Park, that has a capacity of 750.
Public houses in Wootton
- The Fox and Duck
- Cock Inn
- The Chequers Inn
- The Legstraps
- The Blue Cross Members Club
- The Cross Keys (Tre Fratelli)
Shops in Wootton
- Costcutter (Post Office)
- One Stop
- Pats Pizza
- Wootton Garage
- Medical Health Centre
- Women Salon
Services in Wootton
- Wootton Library
- A number of independent companies (off the Bedford Road)
- Bizzy Bees Pre-school
- "Wootton Church". Bedfordshire County Council. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "Wootton Community Archives - Introduction". Bedfordshire County Council. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- "Wootton AP/CP: Total Population - Introduction". Vision of Britain. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- "Neighbourhood Statistics - Wootton (CP) Parish". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
- "Wootton Development Brief". Bedford Borough Council. Retrieved 2014-11-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wootton, Bedfordshire.|