St Mary's Church
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Bedfordshire and Luton|
|Ambulance||East of England|
Wootton is a large village and civil parish located to the south-west of Bedford, in the north of Bedfordshire, England. The parish also includes the hamlets of Hall End, Keeley Green and Wootton Green.
Wootton has had a long association with brick-making, but is now mainly a dormitory community for Bedford and Milton Keynes. In the 18th century church bells were made here for several churches in Bedfordshire and adjoining counties. There has been a great deal of residential development over the last 30 years but some attractive old timber-framed houses still survive. The Church of St Mary the Virgin in the village is mainly 14th century but contains two fine monuments in the chancel to members of the Monoux family who died in 1685 and 1707. To the west of the church is Wootton House, an impressive late 17th-century house with a contemporary, red brick stable block.
The Domesday Book of 1086, listed Wootton as having 26 residents (20 villagers and six slaves) across ten hides. By 1901, the population had risen to 1,252. The population remained fairly steady throughout the first half of the 20th century. But by 1971, the population had climbed to 2,386, a 35.61% (1010 residents) increase within ten years. By 2001 that figure was 4,230.
According to the 2011 Census, the area covered by Wootton civil parish had 4,156 residents who lived in 1,654 households. The median age of the population is 44. Of these residents, 83% describe their health as "good" or "very good" and 2.6% of economically active people aged 16–74 were unemployed.
Wootton is currently expanding in size.
Housing plans include:
- More than 1000 new houses on fields situated next to the A421 road.
- Possible plans to build another 1000 houses on fields located on the road between the village and Kempston.
- an upper school
- small doctors Surgery
- three shops
- five Pubs
- football club
- Car Dealership
- Office spaces
- elderly Residential Home
- three churches
Development of Wooton Park as part of the expansion project was led by a consortium of Bovis, Bellway and Taylor Wimpey. ECL Civil Engineering was the sole civil engineering contractor on the 600 homes development south of the village of Wootton.
Sport and leisure
Wootton has a Non-League football team Wootton Blue Cross F.C., founded in 1887. For the 2020-21 season, they are members of the Bedfordshire County Football League Premier Division. Wootton Blue Cross play at Weston Park, that has a capacity of 750. The clubs most successful season came in the 2002-03 season, when they reached the 4th round of the FA Vase.
Public houses in Wootton
- The Fox and Duck
- Cock Inn
- The Chequers Inn
- The Legstraps
- The Blue Cross Members Club
- The Cross Keys (Tre Fratelli)
Shops in Wootton
- Tesco Express
- Rumbles Fish & Chips
- Pats Pizza
- Wootton Garage
- Medical Health Centre
- Women Salon
- Sainsbury’s Local
- Londis / Post Office
Services in Wootton
- Wootton Library
- A number of independent companies
- A R Security Systems
- All About The Office Ltd
- Assegai Security Solutions
- Asta ay Permanent Make Up
- Bedford Electrical
- Coromel Cakes
- D Young Carpentry Joinery and Renovations
- Dream Digital
- Floral Art By Ronnie
- Foxglove Florals
- Fresh Bites Catering
- Hands in Harmony Home Care Services
- Home Instead Senior Care
- Pin Wizard
- Simms Stuart
- Bizzy Bees Pre-school
- Wootton Vale Retirement Community
- Letitia Dean, EastEnders actress
- Steve Mattin, automobile designer
- "Wootton Church". Bedfordshire County Council. Retrieved 1 February 2008.
- "Wootton Community Archives - Introduction". Bedfordshire County Council. Retrieved 2 February 2008.
- "Wootton AP/CP: Total Population - Introduction". Vision of Britain. Retrieved 2 February 2008.
- "Neighbourhood Statistics - Wootton (CP) Parish". Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- "Wootton Development Brief". Bedford Borough Council. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wootton, Bedfordshire.|