This article possibly contains original research. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location in Somaliland.
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
low · 2nd
Woqooyi Galbeed (Somali: Woqooyi Galbeed, Arabic: وقويي جالبيد), also known as Maroodi Jeex, is an administrative region (gobol) located in Somaliland. It is considered to be the most populous region in the self-declared but internationally unrecognised Republic of Somaliland.
Maroodi Jeex or Waqooyi Galbeed is bordered by Ethiopia to the south, the Somaliand region of Awdal to the west, Togdheer to the east, and the Gulf of Aden to the north. The highest point in the region is Buurta Wagar at 2,004 metres (6,575 ft), which rises southeast of Berbera. Its capital is Hargeisa. It is known to be a very strategic region with rich farmlands and large ports.
The Woqooyi Galbeed region has a total population of 2.4 million residents.
Woqooyi Galbeed is inhabited by people from the Somali ethnic group, with the Issa Musse and the Sa’ad Muuse subdivisions of the Isaaq clan, It's also inhabited by the Garhajis and Arap sub-divisions of Isaaq clan.
The Woqooyi Galbeed region consists of four districts:
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- Regions of Somaliland
- "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Somaliland profile". BBC News. 2016-05-26. Archived from the original on 2017-04-23. Retrieved 2017-04-23.
- Anatomy of Violence: Understanding the Systems of Conflict and Violence in Africa, Belachew Gebrewold.
- Lewis, I. M. (1999). A Pastoral Democracy: A Study of Pastoralism and Politics Among the Northern Somali of the Horn of Africa. James Currey Publishers. p. 109. ISBN 9780852552803.
- Dostal, Walter (2005). Shattering Tradition: Custom, Law and the Individual in the Muslim Mediterranean. p. 296.
- "Wooqoyi Galbeed Region" (PDF). Retrieved 30 December 2013.
Woqooyi Galbeed travel guide from Wikivoyage
|This Somaliland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|