This article possibly contains original research. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location in Somaliland.
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Woqooyi Galbeed (Somali: Woqooyi Galbeed, Arabic: وقويي جالبيد), also known as Maroodi Jeex, is an administrative region (gobol) located in northwestern Somaliland. It's considered to be the most populous region in Somalia.
Marrodi Jeex or Waqooyi Galbeed is bordered by Ethiopia to the south, the Somaliand region of Awdal to the west, Togdheer to the east, and the Gulf of Aden to the north. The highest point in the region is Buurta Wagar (2004 meters), which rises southeast of Berbera. Its capital is Hargeisa. It is known to be a very strategic region with rich farmlands and large ports.
The Woqooyi Galbeed region has a total population of 2.4 million residents.
The Woqooyi Galbeed region consists of three districts:
- Regions of Somaliland
- "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Anatomy of Violence: Understanding the Systems of Conflict and Violence in Africa, Belachew Gebrewold.
- Lewis, I. M. (1999). A Pastoral Democracy: A Study of Pastoralism and Politics Among the Northern Somali of the Horn of Africa. James Currey Publishers. p. 109. ISBN 9780852552803.
- Dostal, Walter (2005). Shattering Tradition: Custom, Law and the Individual in the Muslim Mediterranean. p. 296.
- "Wooqoyi Galbeed Region" (PDF). Retrieved 30 December 2013.
Woqooyi Galbeed travel guide from Wikivoyage