Worcester Public Schools
|Worcester Public Schools|
|20 Irving Street,|
Worcester, MA 01609
$14,492 per pupil
|Students and staff|
|Student-teacher ratio||14 to 1|
959 total (2017-2018)
|Website||Worcester Public Schools|
On October 8, 2015 Dr. Melinda Boone gave her notice to resign as head of the Worcester Public Schools (WPS) effective November 30. She began as Superintendent of Norfolk, Virginia in December 2015. The move left a vacancy in Worcester that was expected to be filled by Marcos Rodrigues, South High Principal Maureen Binienda, Mary Meade Montague, or Sheila Harrity (who eventually left the district to become a superintendent of a regional school district). It was rumored that this vacancy will bring political divisions among key city leaders. The mayor (Joseph Petty), for example, who is also chair of the school committee wanted to fill the vacancy with someone of his choice. He did not consult any other school committee member, and angered many as a result.
The district is now led by a Superintendent, hired by the seven-member Worcester School Committee. Mrs. Maureen Binienda has served as Superintendent since June 2016. The district also hired a Chief Academic Officer, Marcos Rodrigues who has led the creation of innovation schools in the city, and has supported the principals in bringing rigor and relevance to all classrooms. Dr. Rodrigues started as a substitute teacher, followed by a stint as a paraprofessional and after earning a Doctorate joined Dr. Boone's leadership team. A notable figure in Boone's administration was Stacey Luster who served as HR Manager for many years. Stacey was one of the highest paid African Americans in the City of Worcester. Luster gave up a job in the Worcester Schools after being hired at Worcester State University. The move was somewhat inexplicable given that she received a large pay cut.
- Burncoat High School
- Claremont Academy
- Doherty Memorial High School
- North High School
- South High Community School
- University Park Campus School
- Worcester Technical High School
- Abby Kelley Forster Charter Public School
- Burncoat Middle School
- Forest Grove Middle School
- Dr. Arthur F. Sullivan Middle School
- Worcester East Middle School
- Belmont Street Community School
- Burncoat Street Preparatory School
- Canterbury Magnet Computer-Based School
- Chandler Elementary Community School
- Chandler Magnet School
- City View Discovery School
- Clark Street Developmental Learning School
- Columbus Park Preparatory Academy
- Elm Park Community School
- Flagg Street School
- Francis J. McGrath Elementary School
- Gates Lane School
- Goddard School of Science and Technology
- Grafton Street School
- Heard Street Discovery Academy
- Jacob Hiatt Magnet School
- Lake View School
- Lincoln Street School
- May Street School
- Midland Street School
- Nelson Place School
- Norrback Avenue School
- Quinsigamond School
- Roosevelt School
- Tatnuck Magnet School
- Thorndyke Road School
- Union Hill School
- Vernon Hill School
- Wawecus Road School
- West Tatnuck School
- Worcester Arts Magnet School
- "Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education - Error Page" (PDF). www.doe.mass.edu.
- "Worcester Public Schools - Superintendent". worcesterschools.org.
- "Per Pupil Expenditures, All Funds". mass.edu.
- "Enrollment Data (2014-15) - Worcester (03480000)". mass.edu.
- "Teacher Data (2013-14) - Worcester (03480000)". mass.edu.
- "Melinda J. Boone". The Broad Superintendents Academy. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
|This Massachusetts school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|