|Birth name||Tao Rogers-Wright|
|Born||11 November 1984|
|Origin||South London, England|
|Occupation(s)||Actor, hip hop artist|
Wordplay (born Tao Rogers-Wright, 11 November 1984) is a musician and actor of mixed British and Black African descent. Gaining worldwide exposure as an actor in 1998 through the Austrian Obscuro Gothic science fiction film "Dandy dust" directed by Hans Schierl. An active recording artist since 2006, quoted as being "..among the absolute zenith of British MCs that are carrying more than their fair weight of intellect and integrity that keeps this scene rolling. Well recognised for his work with rapper Lowkey; Wordplay matches lyrical flow with mental faculty, conscious content with brilliant beats. A favourite all over the scene, and a reminder of the essence of hip hop for many." It was not until 7 March 2009 that Wordplay appeared on an official release in the form of "Alphabet Assassins" the 10th track off the debut Mongrel album 'Better Than Heavy' released through the label 'Wall of Sound'. Wordplay has toured with, opened for or appeared on stage with both Mongrel (band) and Reverend and the Makers at various festivals and concerts including Glastonbury, T in the Park and Oxegen In 2010 Wordplay released his latest project 'An Emotional Victory'. There was confusion as to weather this was a mixtape or an album, having been dubbed "The Fixtape" and entrant into the mixtape awards then cited as being an album by online blogs like Hip Hop Kings. Wordplay has been quoted as calling it "a street album" on Twitter, this is supported by other official blogs like that of kiss 100 Dj MK. The Street Album had an unnofficial release on 2 March 2010 when 200 limited copys dubbed the premier edition were sold out directly from Wordplay through his online blog http://amoderndaypanther.com
Wordplay (real name Tao Rogers-Wright) was born in the south of London, where he grew up with his mother until there eventual move to the west of the City in the mid 90s, appearing in a number of advertising campaigns from Going Live! and Mr Blobby to Popular shows like Blue Peter as well as appearing in International Films such as 'Dandi Dust' a NEW BOYS PRODUCTION and a success in Japan for Director HANS SCHEIRL. Mid 2002, Still un established, Tao met another young man known as Lowkey, The UK Rapper responsible for Underground Classics Like "The Mad World Remix" as well as The "Key to the Game" Trilogy, Wordplay with his influence began taking a more professional approach to industry. he also lives in kent Margate he went to school at hartsdown tec college
- Dandy Dust (1998) (Director SCHEIRL, Hans, New Boys Productions, DV8-Film, Vienna, Hackneyed Productions.)
Tao Rogers-Wright is also a member of The National Youth Theatre (associated actors include Sir Ben Kingsley, Sir Derek Jacobi, Dame Helen Mirren.) appearing in productions like 'The Deptford Tales'
- An Emotional Victory (2010) (with Nutty P overseeing production, alongside collaborations with Pariz 1, Raw Smilez, Cobane, Mr 13 and Kidz(YBM))
- Words of Advice (2007)
- Alphabet Assassins (2008) (with Mongrel alongside Wretch, Stylah, Tony D, Skinnyman, Purple, No.Lay, III Mill, Mic Righteous, Logic, Kyza, Skirmish, Smife, Franrtic Frank, Doc Brown and Deadly Hunta.)
- "Wordplay interview by Nino". British Hip Hop. 09-02-03. Retrieved 2009-02-03. Check date values in:
- "Full cast and crew for Dandy Dust". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- Mongrel (band)
- "Play.com (UK)". Play.com. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "Wall of Sound / Home". Wall of Sound. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "Wordplay Interview". ukhh. Archived from the original on 5 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "iTunes (UK)". iTunes. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "http://amoderndaypanther.com (UK)". . Retrieved 2009-03-27. External link in
- "Wordplay – T.A.O.". Myspace. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "National Youth Theatre's dramatic approach to question of identity". Socialist Worker. 25 August 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-27.