World's End Girlfriend
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (March 2014)
|World's End Girlfriend|
|Origin||Nagasaki, Kyushu, Japan|
|Genres||Ambient, classical, electronic, post-rock|
World's End Girlfriend is a solo project by Katsuhiko Maeda, who hails from Nagasaki, Kyushu in Japan, and currently resides in Tokyo. At the age of 10, he was inspired by his father's collection of classical music. When he was 12 years old he started composing on keyboards, guitar, tape recorders and computers. To date he has composed more than 600 songs.
Maeda is the older brother of musician Ryoma Maeda, who is better known as Milky-Chu or Milch of Source.
World's End Girlfriend's music has been featured in the Go Shibata directed film Late Bloomer (2004). He also composed the soundtrack to Air Doll, a 2009 film by award-winning director Hirokazu Koreeda and scored the 2011 Taiwanese-Chinese film Starry Starry Night.
World's End Girlfriend has performed live in Australia, Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Italy, Korea, Macau, Spain (twice at the Sonar festival), Switzerland, China, Taiwan, UK and the US. He did a 32 date tour of North America with Mono in 2007, with whom he also made a collaborative CD. In 2010, World's End Girlfriend played shows in Taipei, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing.
- Ending Story (2000) (reissued in 2011)
- Farewell Kingdom (2001)
- Xmas Song (2001) (released as World's End Boyfriend; reissued with 2 extra tracks in 2003; released as a free 9-track download in 2011)
- Dream's End Come True (2002)
- Enchanted Landscape Escape (2002) (released as Wonderland Falling Yesterday; re-released as World's End Girlfriend in 2007 with some track list changes)
- The Lie Lay Land (2005)
- Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain (2006) (collaboration with Mono)
- Hurtbreak Wonderland (2007)
- Enchanted Landscape Escape (2007)
- Seven Idiots (2010)
- 在りし日の声 Voices of Days Past (2015)
- LAST WALTZ (2016)
- Boy (2017)
- LAST WALTZ REMIX (2017)
- MEGURI (2018)
- LAST WALTZ IN TOKYO (2018)
- Sky Short Story (2000)
- Listening You (2000)
- Letter from Crying Klara (2001)
- Halfmoon Girl (2001) (split 12")
- Kira Kira Gibri, Nausicaa Requiem and Kimiwo Nosete (2007)
- Division EPs (2010) (six 3-track volumes)
- Other Voices (2010)
- "Story Telling Again And Again" (2012)
- "YUDECHANG" (2013) (collaboration with BOOL)
- "Girls/Boys Song" (2014)
- "Voices of Days Past" (2015) (collaboration with Vampillia)
- Last Waltz Remix (2017)
- Mineo, Mike. "Worlds End Girlfriend: Hurtbreak Wonderland". PopMatters. Retrieved 2014-03-26.