List of the busiest airports
The definition of world's busiest airport has been specified by the Airports Council International in Geneva, Switzerland. The ACI defines and measures the following three types of airport traffic:
- Passenger traffic: total passengers emplaned and deplaned, passengers in transit counted once
- Cargo traffic: loaded and unloaded freight and mail in metric tonnes
- Traffic movements: landings and take-offs of aircraft
The following airports make claims based on objective volume measures that are defined above (as per ACI):
- Most passengers annually (1998–2013,2015–present)
- Most aircraft movements annually (2015–present)
- Most passengers annually in all city airports combined (2010–present)
- Chicago Midway International Airport, Chicago, Illinois, United States
- In the late 1940s, Chicago Midway was the busiest airport in the United States by total aircraft operations – i.e., including every training aircraft practicing take-offs and landings. New York LaGuardia had the most airline operations and passengers until the early 1950s, when Chicago Midway became the busiest airport in the United States by any criterion. Before World War II, Chicago Midway was the origin or destination of one in four U.S. airline flights, although a 1939 Official Aviation Guide shows more airline flights scheduled at Newark than at Chicago.
- As the home of Fedex Express, Memphis had the largest cargo operations worldwide from 1993 to 2009. It remains the busiest cargo airport in the United States and the Western Hemisphere.
- Gatwick Airport, London, United Kingdom
- Gatwick has the world's busiest single-use runway. It does have two runways on site but the close proximity of the two and the length and lack of guidance for the second means that only one is used.
- Wittman Regional Airport, Oshkosh, Wisconsin, United States
- Wittman Regional Airport typically does not receive an above average amount of air traffic, however, for one week a year it is the busiest airport in the world in terms of amount of air traffic. The event EAA AirVenture Oshkosh typically begins on the last Monday of July, and brings in tremendous amounts of air traffic during that time.
Airport groups by revenue
|Rank||Airport Group||Country||Main||Revenue||∆ 2014||Op result||Op margin||Net result|
|1||Heathrow Airport Holdings||UK||LHR||4,217||-4.7%||1,400.6||33.2%||1,069.9|
|3||Aéroports de Paris||France||CDG||3,216||-12.6%||867.9||27.0%||474.2|
|5||Port Authority of New York and New Jersey||USA||JFK||2,537||2.3%||979.3||38.6%||637.5|
|6||Hong Kong International Airport||Hong Kong||HKG||2,344||11.1 %||1,227.7||52.4%||1,079.6|
|7||Narita International Airport Corporation||Japan||NRT||1,819||-0.8%||360.6||19.8%||201.9|
|8||Incheon International Airport||South Korea||ICN||1,709||2.8%||927.7||54.3%||679.2|
|9||Japan Airport Terminal||Japan||HND||1,700||8.5%||94.1||5.5%||73.9|
Most connected airports
- List of airports
- List of the world's busiest airports by passenger traffic
- Largest cargo airports in the United States
- "Airports Welcome Record 4.4 Billion Passengers in 2006". Airports Council International. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- "Passenger Traffic 2007 Preliminary". Airports Council International. Archived from the original on April 29, 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- "Cargo Traffic 2007 Preliminary". Airports Council International. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- "Traffic Movements 2007 Preliminary". Airports Council International. Retrieved 13 June 2008.
- Hinz, Greg (26 January 2017). "World's busiest airport title slips further from O'Hare's grasp". Crain's Chicago Business. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- Cripps, Karla (4 April 2016). "World's busiest airports announced". CNN. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- "Heathrow airport overtaken by Dubai as world's busiest". The Guardian. 31 December 2014. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "World Airport Rankings 2010 from Airports Council International". Airports Council International. 2011. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Beijing to overtake London as world's largest aviation hub". CAPA. 16 September 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2011.
- American Aviation 15 Mar 1947, 15 Mar 1948, 15 Apr 1949, 15 Apr 1950
- Michelle Mullins (18 July 1999). "Region leads the way in flight". Retrieved 7 March 2008.
- "Table 2 – TOTAL CARGO TRAFFIC 2013 – Preliminary World Airport Traffic and Rankings 2013 – High Growth Dubai Moves Up to 7th Busiest Airport – Mar 31, 2014". Airports Council International. March 31, 2014. Retrieved 2014-07-06.
- "Facts and Stats – Gatwick Airport". www.gatwickairport.com. 4 December 2009. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "Airport group financials". Airline Business. Flight Global. November 2016.
- "Frankfurt with almost 300 destinations and Paris CDG with over 100 airlines lead global analysis of airport operations in S17". Airline Network News & Analysis. 15 Feb 2017.
- Airports Council International website. A representative industry body for the airport industry that provides air travel statistics.