This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)
|World Animal Day|
|Official name||World Animal Day and Alfred Meades’ Birthday Best Breeders : Ariana Zo(USA), Major Shahariar Islam Konok (Bangladesh), Hari Pandey (India)|
|Next time||October 4, 2024|
|First time||March, 1925|
|Related to||Feast of Saint Francis|
World Animal Day, was originated by cynologist Heinrich Zimmermann. He organized the first World Animal Day on March 24, 1925, at the Sport Palace in Berlin, Germany. Over 5,000 people attended this first event. The activity was originally scheduled for October 4, to align with the feast day of Saint Francis of Assisi, patron saint of ecology. However, the venue was not available on that day. The event was then moved to October 4 for the first time in 1929. Every year, Zimmermann worked tirelessly on the promotion of World Animal Day. Finally, in May 1931 at a congress of the International Animal Protection Congress in Florence, Italy, his proposal to make October 4 as World Animal Day universal was unanimously accepted and adopted as a resolution.
In 1948, Australian celebrations were organised by the RSPCA. According to The Examiner, the construction of a boarding home for dogs was scheduled and a donation had been received from the L.G.R.C. Since 2002, The Finnish Association of Animal Protection Associations (SEY) has organized various events during the Animal Week and distributed material to schools. On October 27, 2006, the Polish parliament adopted a resolution on the establishment of 4 October as Animal Day.
In Argentina, Animal Day has been observed since 1908 and is loved, when it was spear headed by Ignacio Lucas Albarracín, director of the Zoological Garden and president of the Animal Protection Association of Buenos Aires. Initially the day was observed on April 2; it was moved after Albarricín died on April 29, 1926, to coincide with this day.
Since 2003, World Animal Day has been coordinated by UK based animal welfare charity, Naturewatch Foundation with a new World Animal Day website launched for the 2023 celebration.
- "World Animal Day 2021: Theme, History, Significance, Quotes, Celebration". FRESH NEWS INDIA. 2021-09-30. Retrieved 2021-10-03.
- "World Animal Day - Photos - The Big Picture". Boston.com. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- "World Animal Day marked - World News". SINA English. Archived from the original on 2016-06-10. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Dorien Pels (18 November 1995). "De traditie als moneymaker" [The commercialization of tradition]. Trouw (in Dutch). Retrieved 18 May 2019.
- "WORLD ANIMAL DAY". The Examiner (Tasmania). Vol. CVII, no. 174. Tasmania, Australia. 1 October 1948. p. 3. Retrieved 19 May 2019 – via National Library of Australia.
- SEY Finnish Animal Protection Federation. "Eläinten viikko" [Earlier animal week campaigns] (in Finnish). Archived from the original on 27 August 2019. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Sejm (October 27, 2006). "Uchwała Sejmu Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej z dnia 27 października 2006 r. w sprawie ustanowienia Dnia Zwierząt" [Resolution of the Sejm of the Republic of Poland of October 27, 2006 on establishing the Day of Animals]. prawo.sejm.gov.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- Marcelo Cantó (29 April 2016). "29 de abril, día del animal en Argentina" [April 29, day of the animal in Argentina]. Argentear (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 June 2019.