World Atlantic Airlines
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010)|
|Founded||2002 (as Caribbean Sun Airlines)|
|Headquarters||Miami International Airport
Miami-Dade County, Florida
|Key people||Tomas Romero (President and CEO)
Florentino Gonzalez (CFO)
World Atlantic Airlines is an airline operating on-demand and scheduled charter services. Its corporate headquarters are located in Suite 450 of Building 845 on the property of Miami International Airport in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida.
The airline was founded in September 2002 as Caribbean Sun Airlines in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and started operations in January 2003, with flights from San Juan's Luis Muñoz Marín International Airport to Tortola, using Bombardier Dash 8-100 aircraft. The airline was set up out of necessity to increase the presence of partner company Caribbean Star Airlines.
On January 9, 2007, the airline announced that it would shut down operations by month-end. The company tried to start up again in March of 2008 when it was purchased by Merengue Airlines Dominicana who was led by President/CEO John Russo. Due to many set backs by the FAA trying to get re-certified, many financial struggles and after several attempts to re-establish the airline's business, the company was sold on January 13, 2009 to an industry group owned by Mr. Tomas Romero industry veteran, The new airline model also included a new branding name: 'World Atlantic Airlines. WAA has undergone aircraft certification with the FAA and financial fitness with the DOT. In August 2010, an application for a new AOC was filed and in September 2010, the FAA issued the AOC. Under the leadership of Mr. Romero.
World Atlantic's current livery features a white fuselage with "World Atlantic" on blue lettering and the two arches (stylized for "WAA") in blue and green next to the front door, as well as the vertical stabilizer.
|McDonnell Douglas MD-82||1 (N803WA)||155||Operating Various Charters|
|McDonnell Douglas MD-83||4 (N802WA, N804WA, N805, N806)||155||Operating Various Charters|
- "Contact World Atlantic Airlines." World Atlantic Airlines. Retrieved on December 31, 2012. "5600 NW 36th Street Suite: 450 Miami, Florida 33166"
- "MIA LOST AND FOUND PUBLIC AUCTION ON MARCH 20 ." Miami International Airport. March 9, 2010. Retrieved on December 31, 2012. "5600 N.W. 36th Street (Building 845), Third Floor"
- "Caribbean Sun to shut down", South Florida Business Journal, January 9, 2007
- "Caribbean Sun Airlines Announces Shutdown; San Juan-Santo Domingo Service Ends Jan. 16, 2007; All Remaining Flight Operations End Jan. 31, 2007", Business Wire, January 9, 2007
- WAA's MD-83 at airliners.net