World Barista Championship
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The World Barista Championship (WBC) is a worldwide barista competition, with the winners of each national barista championship or an otherwise appointed competitor competing for the world title. In 2018 it will be held in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Competitors prepare and serve 2 coffee beverages in 15 mins - four espresso, four cappuccino, and four signature drinks (no alcohol allowed) for four sensory judges. There are two rounds of judging, the first a preliminary round and the second a finals round, featuring the top six competitors.
The Tokyo 2007 WBC was the first to be held outside Europe or the U.S., and marked a growing trend for increased coffee consumption in Asia.
It is owned and organized jointly by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) and the Speciality Coffee Association of Europe (SCAE).
- 2017 (Seoul, South Korea) Dale Harris, United Kingdom
- 2016 (Dublin, Ireland) Berg Wu, Taiwan (Score: 583.0 out of 719)
- 2015 (Seattle, USA) Sasa Sestic, Australia (Score: 618 out of 814)
- 2014 (Rimini, Italy) Hidenori Izaki, Japan
- 2013 (Melbourne, Australia) Pete Licata, United States
- 2012 (Guatemala City, Guatemala) Raúl Rodas, Guatemala
- 2011 (Bogota, Colombia) Alejandro Mendez, El Salvador
- 2010 (London, England) Michael Phillips, United States
- 2009 (Atlanta, United States) Gwilym Davies, United Kingdom
- 2008 (Copenhagen, Denmark) Stephen Morrissey, Ireland
- 2007 (Tokyo, Japan) James Hoffmann, United Kingdom
- 2006 (Bern, Switzerland) Klaus Thomsen, Denmark
- 2005 (Seattle, United States) Trouls Overdahl Poulsen, Denmark
- 2004 (Trieste, Italy) Tim Wendelboe, Norway
- 2003 (Boston, United States) Paul Bassett, Australia
- 2002 (Oslo, Norway) Fritz Storm, Denmark
- 2001 (Miami, United States) Martin Hildebrandt, Denmark
- 2000 (Monte Carlo, Monaco) Robert Thoresen, Norway
- Bonné, Jon (April 19, 2005) Espress yourself. "MSNBC.com" Retrieved on 2006-oct-25
- Phadnis, Chitra (February 7, 2003) Robust competition for barista championship. "The Hindu Business Line" Retrieved on 2006-oct-25
- Murphy, Melinda (May 8, 2003) The Best Brew In The World. "CBS News" Retrieved on 2006-oct-25
- Wendelboe, Tim (May 1, 2005) The Future of the World Barista Championship. "CoffeeGeek.com" Retrieved on 2006-oct-25
- WBC WBC History: Previous Years. Retrieved on 2006-oct-25
- World Barista Championship official site