World Boxing Super Series
|Founded||September 9, 2017Berlin, Germanyin|
The World Boxing Super Series (WBSS) is a professional boxing tournament organised by Comosa AG.
Each weight class features eight boxers competing in an annual knockout competition with the champion from each weight class taking the Muhammad Ali Trophy, named after the former heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali, and sharing a total prize fund of US$50 million, with winner of each tournament receiving US$10 million
The first season of tournament was held from 2017 to 2018 at two weight classes: cruiserweight and super middleweight. The inaugural tournament started in September 2017 and finished with two finals in the summer of 2018. With the tournament, the cruiserweight division crowned its first undisputed champion since 2006.
At a press conference in London on 9 May 2018, a second season was announced, which would take place from 2018 to 2019. Bantamweight and light welterweight was confirmed as two of the three weight classes involved. The third weight class was later revealed to be cruiserweight, following the 2017-18 tournament in that division.
All WBA, WBC, WBO, and IBF world champions were eligible to participate in the tournament, as well as all top 15 world-ranked contenders by each of the 4 sanctioning bodies. Comosa AG contracted eight available fighters per weight class, as well as a few potential back-ups.
In both seasons Comosa has staged a draft gala in Monte Carlo to publicly announce all tournament participants and determine the draw. During the gala, the four top seeds select their quarter-final opponents from the four unseeded boxers in a live TV show.
In addition to the three judges customary in pro boxing, the World Boxing Super Series will be an additional fourth judge whose scorecard will be used if the main three judges deliver a draw result. The fourth judge can also come into play in the event that a tournament fight ends in a no contest or a no-decision and the three official scorecards do not determine a winner.
In the case of a draw, if two of the now four score the bout in for one boxer and at least one of the other two of the four judges score the bout a draw, the fight will be won by the boxer who won the bout in two scorecards. In addition, if a fight remains a draw even after adding the fourth judge's scorecard to those of the three official judges, the series will use a countback method to determine who advances in the tournament. The countback is a sudden-death method of scoring using the three official judges' scorecards to determine who advances. Beginning with the scorecards for the 12th or last round that occurred, the boxer who won that particular round on at least two of the three scorecards will advance. If the bout was scored evenly in the 12th round or the last round that occurred, the advancing boxer will then be determined by who won at least a majority of scorecards in the preceding round. If neither boxer won the penultimate round on at least a majority of the three official scorecards, each preceding round's scorecards will be examined until a round where one boxer was declared the winner of that round on a majority of the three official scorecards.
Seasons and finals
|Season||Weight class||Weight limit||Champion||Runner-up||Result||Date of final||Final host||Ranking for champion|
|in pounds (lb)||in kilograms (kg)||in stone (st)||BoxRec||TBRB||The Ring|
|2017–18||Cruiserweight||200||90.7||14 st 3 lb||Oleksandr Usyk||Murat Gassiev||UD 12||21 Jul 2018||Olimpiyskiy, Moscow, Russia||1||C||C|
|Super middleweight||168||76.2||12 st 0 lb||Callum Smith||George Groves||KO 7||28 Sep 2018||King Abdullah Sports City, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia||1||1||C|
|2018–19||Cruiserweight||200||90.7||14 st 3 lb||Yunier Dorticos vs. Mairis Briedis||14 Dec 2019||Arena Riga, Riga, Latvia|
|Super lightweight||140||63.5||10 st 0 lb||Regis Prograis vs. Josh Taylor||26 Oct 2019||The O2 Arena, London, United Kingdom|
|Bantamweight||118||53.5||8 st 4 lb||Nonito Donaire vs. Naoya Inoue||7 Nov 2019||Saitama Super Arena, Saitama, Japan|
Due to the 'bracket style' nature of the tournament, the winner of each tournament could claim all world titles in the field. Oleksandr Usyk, the winner of the cruiserweight tournament, unified the WBO, IBF, WBC and WBA cruiserweight titles and became the first cruiserweight undisputed champion in over a decade, and the first in the four-belt era.
|International (unsold markets)INT||N/A||Facebook live|
|N/A||TVPlay Sports||N/A||TVPlay Premium|
|Bulgaria||N/A||Diema Sport||N/A||Play Diema Extra|
|Ireland||N/A||Sky SportsUKI||Sky Go|
|Japan||Fuji TV||Wowow||N/A||Fuji On Demand|
|Poland||TVP Sport||N/A||TVP VOD|
|PhilippinesPHI||N/A||Solar Sports||N/A||Solar Sports|
^INT – only aired the quarter finals for Ireland, Latin America, Philippines, and United Kingdom fans.
- "Callum Smith joins exciting World Boxing Super Series after Anthony Dirrell attempts to move world title fight". Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "New £42m boxing tournament set to feature world's best 16 fighters from two divisions in shootout". Mail Online. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- Campbell, Brian (2017-03-09). "World Boxing Super Series to launch $50 million boxing tournament". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- Mike Coppinger, USA TODAY (2017-03-09). "World Boxing Super Series tournament promises jolt to sport with $50M in prize money". Usatoday.com. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "Tournament-style World Boxing Super Series to award $50M in prize money | MMA". Sporting News. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "Applications for World Boxing Super Series pour in". Vox Media. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "World Boxing Super Series: Chris Eubank Jr or Arthur Abraham to enter tournament". BBC. Retrieved 2017-07-08.
- "World Boxing Super Series gets 2nd season". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-05-09.
- "BOXER SELECTION PROCESS". World Boxing Super Series. 11 September 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- World Boxing Super Series (8 July 2017). "World Boxing Super Series Draft Gala 2017" – via YouTube.
- "WHAT IF THERE'S A DRAW? UNDERSTANDING THE 4TH JUDGE". World Boxing Super Series. 15 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "World Boxing Super Series to use 4th judge for potential draws". ESPN. 15 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- Esco, Wil (2017-06-07). "WBC puts 'diamond' titles on the line in World Boxing Super Series". Bad Left Hook. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "World Boxing Super Series: New $50m event to 'change boxing world' - organisers - BBC Sport". Bbc.com. 2017-03-09. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "World Boxing Super Series on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-10-14.
- "World Boxing Super Series on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Boxing News on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "iFL TV™ on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "FREE-TO-VIEW: World Boxing Super Series | MAIN EVENT". Retrieved 2018-10-19.
- "Press Release - DAZN will broadcast every minute of WBSS across America". The Ring. 2018-07-02. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "BoxeRingWeb - Opportune garanzie permetteranno a Regis Prograis di disputare la finale WBSS contro Josh Taylor". www.boxeringweb.net. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- Autor, Wrestling News. "Prograis vs Taylor: Beide Kämpfer haben das Gefühl, einen Stilvorteil zu haben". Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "WBSS reach deal with Matchroom Boxing to air Semi-Finals live on Sky Sports". World Boxing Super Series. 2019-04-23. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "FUJI BOXING 井上尚弥 vs JCパヤノ ～WBSSバンタム級トーナメント 準々決勝～ | 横浜アリーナ". 横浜アリーナ (in Japanese). Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Wowow". Wowow (in Japanese). Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "ESPN transmite lutas do World Boxing Super Series neste sábado". ESPN Brasil (in Portuguese). 2019-04-26. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "ESPN Knout Out: Prograis vs Relikh por el World Boxing Super Series". ESPN (Latin America). Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "TVP pokaże gale World Boxing Super Series" (in Polish). Retrieved 2018-10-13.
- Solar Sports (2019-04-08). "The Best of the Best fighters come together to determine who the best Cruiserweight and Super Middleweight boxers are in the world! Catch the @WBSuperSeries only on Solar Sports! #WBSS". Twitter. Retrieved 2019-04-28.
- "Return the World's best boxing to EUROSPORT with the exclusive broadcast of the ' World boxing SUPER SERIES ' - OcioNews". OcioNews. 2018-10-04. Retrieved 2018-10-28.
- "DMAX Turkiye". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- Sky Sports. "Chisora-Parker and WBSS final on Box Office | Bet IT Best". BetITBest.com (in German). Retrieved 2019-08-31.