World Classical Tamil Conference 2010
|World Classical Tamil Conference 2010|
|Date||23 June 2010–27 June 2010|
|Venue(s)||CODISSIA Trade Fair Complex|
|Website||உலகத் தமிழ்ச் செம்மொழி மாநாடு|
The World Classical Tamil Conference 2010 was an international gathering of scholars, poets, political leaders and celebrities with an interest in Tamil people, the Tamil language and Tamil literature. It was held in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu between 23 June and 27 June 2010 with an expenditure of more than 500 Crores.
The conference was inaugurated by the president of India, Pratibha Patil. Finnish Tamil scholar Asko Parpola was awarded the Kalaignar M. Karunanidhi Classical Tamil award. Tamil scholar V. Sivathambi from Sri Lanka, UNESCO Director Arumugam Parasuraman, MP and political leader Sitaram Yechury of Communist Party of India (Marxist), D. Raja of Communist Party of India, Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi president Thol. Thirumavalavan and Pattali Makkal Katchi founder S. Ramadoss are participating in the ceremony. Dignitaries and Tamil scholars will be gifted with an exquisitely engraved Thanjavur' plate.
Tamil scholar George Hart from the United States, will present a paper on Sangam literature and Indian epigraphist Iravatham Mahadevan will chair a debate on scripts. Rononjoy Adhikari and Kavitha Gangal from Institute of Mathematical Science, who are currently working on a mathematical model to relate the Indus script with the Dravidian language will be involved in the debate on scripts.
The theme song, "Semmozhiyaana Thamizh Mozhiyaam" was penned by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi with music by A.R. Rahman. The Video was directed by Gautham Menon which had various artists, musicians, singers. This video was played numerous times in various channels and liked by many people.
The conference and associated activities also faced oppositions and criticisms from various political parties and public. Many felt that the event lacked academic and intellectual rigor.The conference was held to divert people's attention from Srilankan War crimes and executed by then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. Others viewed it as a partisan event.
- "World Tamil Conference begins on Wed in Coimbatore". ND TV. June 22, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "World Tamil Conference-2010". Dinamalar. June 22, 2010.
- "Coimbatore decked up for world classical Tamil conference". Deccan Herald. June 16, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "Pratibha Patil inaugurates World Classical Tamil Conference". The Hindu. June 23, 2010. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- "Exquisite Thanjavur plate for participants in World Tamil Conference". TimesofIndia. June 11, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "5-day world Tamil conference begins". TimesofIndia. June 23, 2010. Retrieved June 23, 2010.
- "World Classical Tamil Conference Theme Song". The Hindu. May 20, 2010. Retrieved June 22, 2010.
- "Karunanidhi and the politics of Tamil culture". Sri Lanka Guardian. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- transCurrents on June 15, 2010 05:22 AM (2010-06-15). "World Tamil Classical Conference in Tamil Nadu Will Boost Chief Minister Karunanidhi's Image". transCurrents. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "The political uses of Tamil". Indian Express. 2010-06-25. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Iqbal Mohideen. Karunanidhi And The Politics Of Tamil Culture
- World Tamil Classical Conference in Tamil Nadu Will Boost Chief Minister Karunanidhi's Image
- The political uses of Tamil