ISC World Data System
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Sandy Harrison (UK)|
The ISC World Data System (ISC-WDS) was created by the International Science Council's (ISC) General Assembly in October 2008.     ISC-WDS goals are to preserve quality assured scientific data and information, to facilitate open access, and promote the adoption of standards.
The ISC World Data System superseded the World Data Centres (WDCs) and Federation of Astronomical and Geophysical data analysis Services (FAGS) created by ICSU to manage data generated by the International Geophysical Year (1957–1958).
The ISC World Data System is governed by a Scientific Committee(SC) made up of data scientists and experts. It is supported by an International Programme Office (IPO), which is hosted and funded by the Japanese National Institute of Information and Communications Technology as well as the International Science Council.
Data Sharing Principles
- Data, metadata, products, and information should be fully and openly shared, subject to national or international jurisdictional laws and policies, including respecting appropriate extant restrictions, and in accordance with international standards of ethical research conduct.
- Data, metadata, products, and information produced for research, education, and public domain use will be made available with minimum time delay and free of charge, or for no more than the cost of dissemination, which may be waived for lower-income user communities to support equity in access.
- All who produce, share, and use data and metadata are stewards of those data, and have responsibility for ensuring that the authenticity, quality, and integrity of the data are preserved, and respect for the data source is maintained by ensuring privacy where appropriate, and encouraging appropriate citation of the dataset and original work and acknowledgement of the data repository.
- Data should be labelled ‘sensitive’ or ‘restricted’ only with appropriate justification and following clearly defined protocols, and should in any event be made available for use on the least restrictive basis possible
Member organizations of the ISC World Data System join voluntarily in one of the four membership categories: Regular, Network, Partner, and Associate Members. Members contribute their data holdings, data services or products. The updated list of Members is available on the ISC World Data System website : ISC-WDS Membership
- "World Data System (WDS)". Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- Ad hoc Strategic Committee on Information and Data. Final Report to the ICSU Committee on Scientific Planning and Review (PDF). ICSU. 2008. p. 25.
- Ad -hoc Strategic Coordinating Committee on Information and Data Interim Report to the ICSU Committee on Scientific Planning and Review (PDF). ICSU. 2011. p. 7. ISBN 978-0-930357-85-6.
- Dieminger, Walter; Hartmann, Gerd K.; Leitinger, Reinhart (1996), "The World Data Center System, International Data Exchange, and New ICSU Programs", The Upper Atmosphere, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 921–941, ISBN 9783642787195, retrieved 2019-01-27
- "Constitution of the International Council for Science World Data System (ICSU WDS)" (PDF). Retrieved 12 June 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "International science community to build a 'World Data System'". itnews. 28 Oct 2008. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- Cheryl Pellerin. "International Science Council to Revamp World Data Centers". Archived from the original on 21 October 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- US National Academies. "The International Geophysical Year". Retrieved 21 June 2013.
- Howard Moore. "WDS Scientific Committee". Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "WDS Scientific Committee". Archived from the original on 5 June 2013. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "ＷＤＳ‐ＩＰＯ（世界科学データシステム国際プログラムオフィス）開所式概要" (in Japanese). Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "世界科学データシステム国際プログラムオフィス開所式" (in Japanese). Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "World Data System (WDS) Data Sharing Principles". www.icsu-wds.org. doi:10.5281/zenodo.34354. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- www.icsu-wds.org official website