World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought
|World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought|
|Observed by||UN Members|
|Next time||17 June 2017|
The World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought is a United Nations observance each June 17. Its purpose is to highlight ways to prevent desertification and recover from drought. Each annual celebration has a different theme. It should be celebrated all over the world.
This day was proclaimed on January 30, 1995 by the United Nations General Assembly resolution A/RES/49/115 after the daz when United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification is drafted.
- 2015 - Attainment of food security for all through sustainable food systems.
- 2009 - Conserving land and energy = Securing our common future
- 2008 - Combating land degradation for sustainable agriculture
- 2007 - Desertification and Climate Change - One Global Challenge
- 2006 - The Beauty of Deserts – The Challenge of Desertification
- 2005 - Women and Desertification
- 2004 - Social Dimensions of Desertification: Migration and Poverty
- 2003 - International Year of Deserts and Desertification (IYDD)